Stereo parts list, will this be a good system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo parts list, will this be a good system?

I am about to upgrade my entire system in my 06 screw KR, here is the parts list from Crutchfield (except for the sub box, I'm still hunting the best price on this). Someone with good experience with this stuff tell me if this will be a good sounding, loud, high quality system before I add to cart. This crap is expensive.

Eclipse AVN-5435 (with sirius and steering wheel controls), Infinity 50.7 component fronts, Infinity kappa 682.7 6X8 rear speakers, a JL stealth box with a 4 ohm 10" in it and an Infinity 5761a 6 channel amp to run all of it (last 2 channels bridged to run the single sub). I know the amp is enormous but there is a review on Crutchfield from a guy with an 05' screw who managed to get it behind the rear seat. I like rock music, I'll drive my truck into a bayou before I ever play hip-hop in it so it's not all about the bass, but I still want it to hit hard.

thanks for any advice

Old 09-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound like a good setup to me. I put Infinity's in my truck and I love them. They are very clear, but still sound great when I crank it up.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:43 AM
I have two things to mention here, but they're just my opinion, so don't be offended.

1) Crutchfield is NOT a good deal. You will pay FULL RETAIL on most things they sell, unless they state that it's on sale. You can usually get the same price on stuff from them as your local stereo shop, so why not keep the mom and pop places in business (plus you have a better shot at bartering (or beating the crap out of the loser that sold bunk stuff to you)).

2) Infinity in my opinion are not very good. If you're planning on running a JL stealthbox, which is VERY expensive (and high quality), why cheap out on the components, which are the most important part of the system!? You should step up to something a little more impressive. I would recommend MBQuart for your install. They have excellent quality components for not a whole lot of money. I have a set of Polk's SR series components, and they're absolutely amazing, but they're spendy.

Just my two cents... Good luck!

Old 09-15-2006, 02:46 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by dmitt30
I have two things to mention here, but they're just my opinion, so don't be offended.

1) Crutchfield is NOT a good deal. You will pay FULL RETAIL on most things they sell, unless they state that it's on sale. You can usually get the same price on stuff from them as your local stereo shop, so why not keep the mom and pop places in business (plus you have a better shot at bartering (or beating the crap out of the loser that sold bunk stuff to you)).

2) Infinity in my opinion are not very good. If you're planning on running a JL stealthbox, which is VERY expensive (and high quality), why cheap out on the components, which are the most important part of the system!? You should step up to something a little more impressive. I would recommend MBQuart for your install. They have excellent quality components for not a whole lot of money. I have a set of Polk's SR series components, and they're absolutely amazing, but they're spendy.

Just my two cents... Good luck!
I pretty much agree with what he said.

I'm not sure how or why Infinity for so popular...it's a VERY mediocre brand all-around. Yeah, it isn't BAD, but it's nothing to write home about either.

Polk has some very nice stuff for all budgets. Very easy on the ears, good musical range. But hey, audio is one of those things that can sound GREAT to one set of ears, and terrible to another. Go check out some demo stuff at local shops if you can.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I third that. I had the Infinity components and they were not kind to my ears. The highs were way too much. I tried adjusting them but no luck. I switched to the POlk components. They are actually 10 times better and cheaper than the Infinity's. The polks retail for 350 but are 180 at millionbuy.com. To be honest I go to Crutchfield to figure out what will fit my truck then i go somewhere else to buy it. They are way over priced. Just like Bose. Bose are **** compared to others. THey just have great advertising. I have a completely Home theatre system of nothing but Polk. And it was actually the Polk MOMO 6500 components that shifted to do that. Crutchfield has the 6500 components but 100 bucks more than everywhere else.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Thank you

This was the kind of advice I needed, i didn't want to get caught up in product hype (ie. Infinity as ya'll are saying). here's an updated list of components I'm going to scrounge around for the best prices on.

Eclipse AVN5435, JL Stealth box w/ 10", Polk sr 5250 front components, Polk mmc 570 rear coaxials, Polk c400.4 amp, and a JL 250/1 monoblock amp. For these prices it better blow womens clothes off when I drive by and it better feel like Iron Maiden is sitting on my dash board.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone has experience with the Polk SR speakers please let me know if they are actually as awesome as some reviewers are claiming they are.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:51 PM
i am way behind with current models and competitors as of today but i will say that if you bought Polk then join their speaker club on the polk website. I have run both mobile and home speakers with nothing but compliments and the few times i have overdriven a speaker (metallic, led zep or something else fast) they have come through with a replacement because i was a club member.

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Infinitys and can tell you they sound so,so on HU power, put some real power to them and they sound like Sh$t..... replaced with polk mmc-6500 front and mmc-650 rear.... these are great speaker and can be bought at Millionbuy.com at a fair price.... where I got mind from..

Pics in gallery under Eclipse, if you want a look see....
I reinstall the Infinitys in my company ford van on a stock HU.... I was going to sell them and just don't even think they are worth selling...

Old 09-28-2006, 05:02 AM
BROTHER IF YOU WANT THE "MOTHER" OF ALL COMPONENTS GET ONLINE AND SHOP FOR SOME "FOCALS" SOMETHING LIKE THE 165V2S. I LIKE THE V2Ss BECAUSE THEY ARE SLIM FITTING INTO YOUR DOOR AND COME NOWHERE NEAR THE WINDOW TRACK. THIS IS THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST WHEN IT COMES TO COMPONENT SPEAKERS. THE LOUDER YOU PLAY THEM THE CLEARER THEY GET. THE ONLY CATCH IS YOU HAVE TO POUR THE POWER TO THEM. IF I COULD RECOMMEND A BRAND OF AMPLIFIER TO YOU IT WOULD BE THE ROCKFORD FOSGATE 4004 POWER SERIES AMP. ITS A BIG AMP THAT PUTS OUT REALLY IMPRESSIVE RAW POWER I WENT WITH A PIONEER Z1 HEAD UNIT VERY PRICEY BUT REALLY NICE......... BUT ANYWAY IF YOU WANT QUALITY SOUND AND DONT MIND PAYING FOR IT GET THOSE COMPONENTS.... I PROMISE YOU AND ANYONE WITHIN A 100 YARDS WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED

Old 09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
The best thing to do would be to visit a local shop and make up your mind on what you like. You don't necessarily have to buy it from your local shop, but make a decision on what you like yourself. We all can give you opinions on what sounds good to us all day, but to you it may still sound like a$$. Have you had a chance to listen to the difference between silk dome and metal dome tweeters? That right there is a big difference between different lines of speakers by the manufacturers and will make a very large difference in the sound of the system.

While I agree with LA892 that Focal produces a very well built speaker, there are still several people who hate the sound of them. Car Audio is all based upon what sounds good to you. Before you go spend your wad on equipment take a little bit of time to review the different speakers and make sure that your money is well spent.

Personally I do like the sound of the Polk component sets, my friend runs two sets of the 6 1/2" components in his truck (Can't remember the line off the top of my head) and they sound great.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
it really is what you like. ill tell you to steer towards alpine because im biased towards my type X's

the focals are nice but i dont like their tweeters

i hate infinity's. overrated overhyped crap, like bose

MB quarts have very nice mids but their tweets are always cheap and harsh. not to mention maxxsonics owns them now . . barf

id like get a hold of some polks to play with because we dont carry them

Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM
To the original poster "mwdhand"...Does the term K9 mean anything to you?

Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by mwdhand
This was the kind of advice I needed, i didn't want to get caught up in product hype (ie. Infinity as ya'll are saying). here's an updated list of components I'm going to scrounge around for the best prices on.

Eclipse AVN5435, JL Stealth box w/ 10", Polk sr 5250 front components, Polk mmc 570 rear coaxials, Polk c400.4 amp, and a JL 250/1 monoblock amp. For these prices it better blow womens clothes off when I drive by and it better feel like Iron Maiden is sitting on my dash board.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone has experience with the Polk SR speakers please let me know if they are actually as awesome as some reviewers are claiming they are.
THAT sounds like an awesome setup! I have the SR6500's in my doors up front, and nothing in back (because I don't like sound from the rear anyway) I've had the polk's installed for about 3 weeks now, and they're just starting to sound really good. The ring radiator tweeters are f'ing amazing! Sooooo clean and clear! The midbass is meh, till you get them broken in. Now they're very very clean, solid and smooth. I'm throwing 150w rms to them and I play my music nice and loud. It's defintely an excellent choice. Since you're going with the smaller mid-bass, you probably won't get as much of the mid-bass as the 6.5's, but you'll still be really impressed! I promise.

If you're looking to blow women's clothes off, you'd better get a turbine engine, but as far as Iron Maiden sitting on the dash, you can definitely achieve that with the right speaker placement and imaging!

As for FOCAL AND ROCKFORD GUY UP ABOVE WHO WRITES EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS... well... yeah... ahem. Focal makes great speakers. But I guarantee that you won't be getting "reference" grade speakers from their poly-glas line. If you want the same quality of sound from Focal as you'll get from the SR series Polks, you'll have to step up to Focal's Utopia line, and then, well... you'll have surpassed the Polks in sound quality, but you'll also have spent at least 3 times the amount of money! Oh yeah... ROCKFORD-SHMOCKFORD! The JL amp is an excellent choice!

Good luck to you!

Quick Reply: Stereo parts list, will this be a good system?