Getting There

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting There

Well, I'm getting there little by little. Where does all the time go when you're having fun? Got my left side done, but I've got to work starting in the morning till Thursday. That's my next day off & maybe I can finish then. Only thing I don't like is the headrest in the back on the drivers side won't go all the way down without hitting the amp. I relocated the security box more toward the bottom. Might should have tried to go a little lower. Those JL crossovers are gonna have to go in the dash somewhere. Too big for the doors. The JBL crossovers worked out good in the rear door armrest though. Here's a few pics. I'll do the big 3 as soon as I get a chance. It's a b#@C* running that speaker wire through the doors. Luckily the neighbor had a metal coat hanger. All the wife had was plastic hangers.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh yeah, here's where the sub box will be sitting. Just sat it in there to get a looksy.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:01 PM
you can say that again. i started my installing my seat lift last night. no washers prevented its completion. finished that first thing this morning. next came the 1/0 power cable. it was a tight fit, but i made it. then on to the rca's and head unit. i now take back the power cable being a tight fit. the three rca's and speaker wires was worse. i haven't decided if i am going to chicken out and use the factory wire to the doors. any tips on the door connectors? tomorrow will be amps and start the box. good luck on the completion.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by ufscrew
you can say that again. i started my installing my seat lift last night. no washers prevented its completion. finished that first thing this morning. next came the 1/0 power cable. it was a tight fit, but i made it. then on to the rca's and head unit. i now take back the power cable being a tight fit. the three rca's and speaker wires was worse. i haven't decided if i am going to chicken out and use the factory wire to the doors. any tips on the door connectors? tomorrow will be amps and start the box. good luck on the completion.
The door speakers weren't as bad as I thought they may be. You'll need some kind of line or a metal coat hanger to pull the wire through the rubber boots that go from the door to the cab. Also, doing the rear doors you'll probably need to remove the plastic where the driver & passenger seat belts are. It will make it alot easier. The drivers side rear door is the only place I ended up with speaker wire crossing the power cable. I ran the drivers door up under the dash & left enough wire to go up behind the radio or what ever place I find to mount these big *** JL crossovers. Couldn't fit them in the doors anywhere. I tried that one already. Just took & ran 2 sets of wires from the front doors to cab. One for the tweeters & one for the 5x7 woofers. At least I like how there is already a location to mount a tweeter up at the top behind the grill. Just be patient & it will all come together. Good luck on your install also.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:34 PM
how did you get through the big plastic locking connector? drill?

Old 07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
how did you get through the big plastic locking connector? drill?
I've heard guys talk about it but I didn't run into anything like that. You can put your finger up in the rubber boot through the door & on the inside. I said hmmm..... Guess I can run the wire through there. Just took the close hanger & slid it through the boot to the other side. Taped the speaker wire to it & pulled it straight through. Just be careful though when running the hanger through the boot though & don't puncture it. You'll see where it's poking the rubber & you just have to kind of guide it by moving the rubber boot around some like up, down, etc...etc.... My truck is the 06 Supercrew so I'm not sure if there's any difference or not. No problem running 2 set of wires through the drivers door either. I'm using 16 gauge if I'm not mistaken. I'd have to go look in the shed but I'm pretty sure. I know it's not any smaller than 16g. though.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:49 PM
that must be nice. i also have a 06 screw, but it has them. oh well, i will figure it out tomorrow. thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2006, 11:53 PM
that must be nice. i also have a 06 screw, but it has them. oh well, i will figure it out tomorrow. thanks.
Let me know what you found out. If I play hookie from work in the morning & work on the other side I'll try to get some pics for ya.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Well, I relocated the security box behind the side panel & moved my amp down further. Seat is fine now. I just couldn't stand not being able to put the headrest all the way down. Sure didn't want to do a half *** job & someone ask why it doesn't go down. I'll get pics later.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, after a long hard day I'm finally done. Haven't worked this hard in a long time.....lol It was well worth it though. I'm very happy with my install & it sure beats the hell out of stock anyday. My speakers really came to life after throwing some juice to them for their first time. Here's a few pics from today. Those JL's really throw out some kick *** midbass. Surprised me really. I've got the amp set at HP 80hz. Coat hangers come in real handy. My neighbor thought I had lost it when he saw me taking out the seats.....hehe That secret little place under the middle seat came in handy & I decided to mount the crossovers in there. The JBL crossovers were also small enough to go in the rear arm rest. That Punch 150 needs to hurry it's *** up & get here. Ready to throw those subs in now. It's been a long time since I've actually had a system in a vehicle to listen to. I've really enjoyed myself this weekend & it brought back a lot of old memories. Tired as hell, but well worth it.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:10 PM
It's miller time now.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lookin good

I cant wait till I get a new truck so I can rip out the whole interior for a new install, lol. Your pics make me anxious.

Just curious, how much power is the Punch 150? Is that Punch 75 the one rated at 22 or so watts per channel, but puts out more like 80? I like the look of those things though.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Lookin good

I cant wait till I get a new truck so I can rip out the whole interior for a new install, lol. Your pics make me anxious.

Just curious, how much power is the Punch 150? Is that Punch 75 the one rated at 22 or so watts per channel, but puts out more like 80? I like the look of those things though.
3000 miles & gutted like a pig.........lmao The Punch 150 should be pretty damn strong. He's what the birth paper for my Punch 75 said....hehe It's just a little more & trust me, it's doing it to those JL's of mine. 37 watts per channel my ***.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 PM
This is the add over at Cardomain.com where I bought my Punch 75. The add said 171 watts x 2. Birth sheet on mine is 213. That's a difference of 42 watts per channel. I'm really liking this amp. I've been jamming some this afternoon & I've reached behind the seat & felt of the amp & it's barely warm. It's real clean sounding also. Sure hope it's as good to me as my Punch 45HD was back in the day. That's the only reason I bought these 2 amps because they were suppose to be like the old school ones but better. I believe they are. Here's the specs on the 150 from the site. Gonna be interesting to see what the birth sheet says. I'll be running mine 2 ohm stereo.

VERY Limited Edition — Only 2500 Produced!
Very Underrated Amplifier. Rockford Tested Power Ratings:
260W x 2 @ 4 Ohms
489W x 2 @ 2 Ohms
978W x 1 @ 4 Ohms bridged
Integrated 12 dB/Octave Crossover
Variable Input Sensitivity
Short Circuit Protection
MOSFET Output Circuitry
Bridgeable
Patented "PUNCH" 0-18 dB Equalization
Remote Punch Bass Included
CEA 2006 Compliant Specifications