speaker upgrade question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker upgrade question..

hello I got some speakers installed today in my super cab 02 f 150.
Over a year ago I had Circuit city replace the stereo with an Alpine CDA 9827 unit, that seems pretty decent. It cranked a lot more sound than the factory unit. Well I was thnking that my bass was getting a little ragged at the edge of where I will blast the music, so i figured Id buy new speakers! So i went back to CC , and I didnt want to speak a ton of money because i am going on vacation next week, so i only opted for some SONY 5x7's that will handle 55rms watts and a peak of over 200 watts...for $60 a pair....then $40 a pair to install.....definately worht the money to boost my sound quality..............well I listened to the CD for maybe 20 seconds and drove that car 50 ft, before i threw her in reverse, and went right back into the garage, and told them damm that sounds WORSE than what i had!!!!!!!!!!!!

They installed both fornt and back speakers...but now I was getting fuzzyness in some of my treble at way less volumne control that I was getting my bass problems before.......the CD I have listening to for 2 weeks straight non stop...I noticed the problem INSTANTLY.

after a lot a jawing around they say now that the speakers are soooo much better than the factory I am hearing imperfection at a lower volumne than I used to.......ok...so you are saying that if i bought $1000 speakers I d have the same or worse problem.......YEP they say.... I am thinking BS!!!!!!!!!!

It ends up costing me $229 for crappier sound!!!!!!!!!! doesnt take a genius to say...RIP the flockers out of there NOW!..

his solution was to install a $360 4 way amplifier....yep thats the solution to solve my $120 speakers problems!!!!!!

sounds BS to me...I told them they would have to rip them out or give me a super super sweet deal to make me kick MORE money into the kitty to straighten this out.....the amp deal didnt sound like a sweet deal.....

what do you guys say?

is it possible my older FORD speakers were of so low quality that the imperfections could not be heard at the same volumnes????

the guy played with the controls for a 1/2 hour...could not solve the issue.

I am going back tommorrow at 5:30 pm to have them take out the new speakers and give me a refund......

I told the guy my issue at the beginning and I thought the new reciever might have been so good it hurt the factory speakers over the last year or so.... and i wanted to get that sound back, and maybe get a ittle more volume capacity as well.........if this is the usual problem he should have said...well the new speakers MIGHT sound worse, because they are soooo good..

you might need an amp ....BEFORE hand!

thanks.....bob

Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would continue on your quest to get your money back. Then go to a reputable shop that specializes in car audio and look at better quality fronts. Because of the interior setup etc, you would be much better off spending that same $120 on a set of fronts in fact add the $40 for the rear install and spend that $160 on a good set of fronts. Big chain stores will push cheap speakers with large profit margins on unsuspecting customers thats why I would suggest seeing a specialized dealer. They tend to care more on whats good for the customer. And yes $60 sony's are not as good sounding as the stockers and no $1000 speakers would not sound even worse. After you get your money back tell him to turn around so you can kick him in the a$$

Quick Reply: speaker upgrade question..