Stuffing a sealed box...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Stuffing a sealed box...

What (if anything) could i hope to gain by adding stuffing filler to my Q-Logic sealed box housing a 10" sub powered by my Alpine MRD-300 amp? Deeper bass, boomier bass, drop the bass? Ok, just getting stupid now.. just curious... Thanks..

Old 09-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Stuffing a sealed box makes it perform as a larger box. The air behaves when it is pressed into a flexible material which acts like a sponge - so to speak. What you get, is a more linear response with an extension of output into the lower end of frequencies. You won't get MORE MAX volume - actually a little less at your peak frequency.

If you want more boominess and rumble, stuffing will help(assuming your box isn't already too big) - and if it's a qlogic, it probably will work quite well.

If you like that heart thumping bang/snap, stuffing will decrease this...

Typically if you put in 1 lb per cubic ft, you'll see up to a 10% change.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:41 PM
What frostby stated is very accurate, I would just like to add to that comment. The stuffing will help to cancel some of the standing waves in the enclosure reducing resonance, thereby aiding extension into the lower octaves. It does this by turing the sound waves into heat by vibrating the stuffing. This will give the enclosure a smoother more pleasing response. The best place to get this stuffing cheaply is from a Dacron filled bed pillow, which you can usually get at a discount store. I personally have found 3/4 LB per cubic foot to suit my listening preferance, but just play with the amount you use until you feel it sounds the best.

Last edited by audiofreak9; 09-09-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. Very well put..

I think i will get some stuffing and try and play the stuffing out of my stereo now!!

Old 09-30-2005, 12:43 PM
So.....

What did you end up doing?

Old 09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Haven't done it yet. I am going to get the stuff this weekend, and i'll give a report back

Quick Reply: Stuffing a sealed box...