Sub in Accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub in Accident

My sub was taken from a car accident, and I was just wondering, what could 'shake' loose from a wreck?

the sub hits HARD as hell... just the inside of the sub... (sounds like a Voice Coil Maybe?) rattles...

sub is only getting 200watts right now, but I dont think it is too badly underpowered... granted it can easily handle 600watts...

are there any ways of repairing them?

Old 08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of times subs wont make it through bad wrecks. My guess would be a mis-aligned voice coil. If its making a hard clancking sound, the VC might be bottoming out.

What kind of sub, and what model, is it. You could send it to the manuf. and get it re-coned-sometimes its not worth it though (manuf. might charge a crap load to re-cone, or the sub just isnt that great and not worth it etc).

Edit, forgot to add.......Could be something like a loose dust cap that just needs re-glued, spider coming unglued from the landing and rattling, or VC coming unglued from the spider(which could also cause a mis-aligned VC).

If anything just came unglued-its an easy fix with some super glue-if the VC came undone from the spider its more complicated-might have to disassemble the sub some-but there might be more damage also if thats the case.

Last edited by Bartak1; 08-03-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:44 PM
I just looked/examined the sub and there is a tear in the 'paperlike' part under the main sub

the sub is a Kicker L7 10" sub... just fyi...

I am contacting kicker about it not... but in the meantime... does anyone know how to repair paper cone thingies? I'll try to get a picture up...

it still hits hella hard... just I think that rip has to do with its bad 'SQ' hood... still kicks the **** out of any of my friends subs! =-p
but if anyone knows how I can fix this without spending huge amounts of cash... that would be wonderful

Old 08-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Hmm, Im not sure what your really talking about, first I thought the cone, but I dont think L7's have paper cones. Maybe the spider? I guess Ill wait for the pic to see for sure.

Dont expect to great of SQ from that sub anyway.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:14 AM
well... there is a paperlike thing undernearth the cone... and that is what is ripped...
if you understand that at all

Old 08-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Is it all wavy lookin?

Old 08-13-2005, 02:45 AM
yea... its all wavy looking... I was going to try to fix it with watered down elmer's glue and soak tissue paper in it and dry it in the rip... to try and fix it... but not sure... if that doesnt work.. I'm going to buy another one...

I got it off ebay with a truck box for 120 (thats including shipping and handling)... so I was getting a deal on it anyways... so I can get a refurbrished 2004 L7 for 150... so thats basically the price of a regular one... but yea...

would that glue thing work you guys think?

Trending Topics

Old 08-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Sounds like your describing the spider then. I wouldnt count on the elmers/tissue paper combo working. If its not real big and like a hole missing out of it, I would use some stuff made by Loctite, called 409 if I remember right (havent used it for awhile and I cant even remember what its called, go figure ) Or just some superglue.

Try not to smear it all over either, the spider needs to kinda flex, and well, superglue doenst flex

Old 08-13-2005, 03:30 PM
I was lookin on the interned and came accross something made by 3M, called Super Weatherstrip Adhesieve. Supposedly it stays flexible and holds like crazy, might want to try something like that.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:24 AM
all right... I'll hafta give it a try... sounds like I can pick something like that up at a Home Depot or alike? thx man! I'll tell you how it works

Old 08-18-2005, 06:36 PM
I went to go get that adhesive... and the people there suggested 'Plumbers Goo' and a 'Pond Repair Kit" (that came with VERY flexible pieces of plastic)
after I went and looked at the rips again, I relized they really werent that big... but there were around 4 of them... so I just coverd them with the 'Plumbers Goo' (which is stronger than glue and flexible to boot)
and I didnt wait the recommended 24 hours... just around 8, which is why it didnt work this first time... but I am going to try it again and let it sit overnight with the goop on it...

the goop on the rips worked for around 30 seconds... then seemed to unglue, which is probably my fault for not letting it set... I will try it again and see if anything changes

DANCE BANANA DANCE!

Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Sounds good, hopefully it will work the second time around.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:14 PM
WORKS! wahoO!

Old 08-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Good deal

Id pull it out about once a month or so just to check on it and see if the glue is holding. Just to make sure.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 AM
just checked it to see if it was holding good... and god damn its holding good!

problem solved thx for the advice/help

Quick Reply: Sub in Accident