connecting an aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
connecting an aftermarket HU

I have an '05 regular cab and will be putting in two 10" subs an amp along with this HU and for now leaving the stock speakers. The question is this: In the 05 regular cab there are 6 stock speakers total including 2 tweets. The HU is 50Wx4 plus an RCA connected "rear output". I was planning on the amp running just the subs but how do I control the remaining two speakers? Do they have to go through the amp as well? Or should everything go through the amp?

Old 07-14-2005, 02:27 AM
A separate woofer/tweeter still counts as 1 speaker. A set of them in the door will consume the same power as a 6x8 3way speaker. Some will say it's different, but the difference would be unnoticable. If you don't like the sound when it's turned up, then it's time for another amp. If you are gonna pound your ears with 2 subs you are probably gonna want to listen to your music loud. If you've got the $ to spend I would get an amp for the door speakers. You can never have too much power.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks for replying darkstone05, I was starting to think no one wanted to answer

I would still need speaker wire coming from each speaker obviously so are you saying put the two door speakers into the same speaker port on the amp? Maybe I'm not fully understanding because like I said, the origional plan was to power the 6 door speakers with the head unit which will only have ports for 4 speakers. Is the stock stereo XWx6? Maybe I'll rip apart my dash and find out.

Oh, nevermind. I just found what I think you were refering to. I could wire them together. + to +. If that's not what you meant then I may have found another way of doing it.

Last edited by Tical84; 07-14-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:22 PM
If you are going to use the factory wiring, which I highly suggest, the + and - wires that run from the dash to the speakers in a door will just be one set. They don't separate until they get ot the speakers. For instance, you will see 2 wires on the harness for front left. One pos, one neg. Those 2 wires go to the door, but then hook up to the separate woofer and tweeter through some kind of crossover or wiring adapter in the door. There is no extra wiring needed for you. Although there are separate woofer and tweeter in the door, the HU doesn't know the difference. It just puts out power through a pos and a neg wire. If coming off an amp is your plan, then it's still the same. Normally a pair of separates will have a crossover which separates the sound properly to each piece. You simply run the speaker wire from the amp to the crossover, then there will be 2 sets of wires coming off the crossover. One set is for tweet, one set is for woofer. The amp doesn't know the diff either.

If needed I can give you more detailed explanation on how I wired my system, so you can run an amp or just use the HU to power the speakers. I'll explain either way. It's way easier than you are figuring it will be.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:38 PM
I tend to make everything more difficult than it needs to be. I'm running two subs so I'm going to have to have at least one amp. In the future when I get new door speakers and cash I may buy another but it's hard to say. Since the stock HU is already powering 6 speakers I can't imagine a new HU having a problem with aftermarket speakers.
By "woofer" I'm assuming you mean the other speakers in the door? I didn't realize there was a crossover in the door. I do know that the amp and HU don't know the difference but I couldn't see how one + and one - wire could power two speakers. I get it now though.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM
yep, I meant that the woofer is the larger of the two pieces, not a subwoofer. With a stock set of separates, who knows what you'll find when you take them out, but there's gotta be something in there. They don't just split the wires and tie them together. Let me know what you do find though. Thanks. and yes, as long as you don't intend to turn the volume up really loud the HU will power all the speakers okay. It's more of an issue when you turn it up.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:52 PM
I'll rip the door open when I get home from work and get some food....providing its still light outside, otherwise I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:34 PM
OK, so I'm a little late, but this is what I found when I ripped apart my door....

Yep, nothing.
I don't even have a tweeter. Is this something that only comes in the Audiophile setups or did they miss something?

Old 07-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock separates must only come with the Audiophile option. You just have the normal ol' coaxials.

There is a tweeter, its just behind that grille. Mounted right to the woofer.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:58 AM
The tweeter is behind that grille? I thought that was just part of the mid. Is it still two seperate speakers? I was going to take that out as well but the socket size I needed just happened to be the only size I'm missing

Old 07-20-2005, 01:12 AM
There is an oval mid, and then a tweeter mounted on the mid, both behind the grille. No tweeter mounted separatley.

If you get a flashlight and shine it thru the grille, then look in there at the right angle you will see them both. The tweeter is just a cheap litte paper bowl-like looking thing.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:36 AM
We call them wizzer cones Bartak. They aren't really a tweeter so to speak although that is what they act like.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:21 PM
^ I know. I was going to add that I just didnt see the point in doing so since I was just trying to explain what it looked like so he could see it.

Although I didnt know the arent really a cheap 'tweeter'

Quick Reply: connecting an aftermarket HU