Sub/Amp wiring to factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub/Amp wiring to factory head unit

I have a few questions to ask. I'm trying to install a 2-10" enclosure in my 99 f-150 ext cab. I have the risers, so space will be no problem. I have 2 Kicker Comp C10's (4ohm) They can handle 150w RMS or max power of 300W each. I have a Boss C450 2 chanel amp w/ RMS power(4ohms) = 110Wx2 max power(2ohms)=300Wx2. I'm new to this so I'm asking how to wire this amp/sub to get the amp to a 2ohm load. Do I just use both chanels and have the right in the right output and the left in the left output? I'm looking at the diagrams on crutchfield and i just want to make sure I get the amp down to 2ohms....someone please help me with this. I'm a beginner, and want all 600W.

Also I want to keep the factory head unit. Can someone help me out with wiring the sub to the factory head unit. Its one with a 6disc changer in the center console and I have the tapedeck on the receiver. I'm gonna keep this headunit b/c the last one I had in another car was stolen, even w/o the faceplate, and the amp comes with a remote control for volume. someone please help.

here are some links to my amp specs
Boss C450 amp specs

Last edited by Austi076; 06-16-2005 at 09:08 AM. Reason: ad link
Old 06-16-2005, 09:28 AM
premium

I believe I have the premium h/u if thats any difference...
Will I need a RCA converter...if so where would i get that?

Old 06-16-2005, 11:42 AM
First off you will need a line out converter to hook up the amp. You tap into the right and left rear speaker to get the correct output for your amp. Since your amp only has a high pass crossover, I recommend the N-85 or N-85V LOC from David Navone. http://davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm
As far as the wiring for your subs, I would just run one channel to one sub and the other channel to the other sub b/c 110W is plenty for those speakers. As you know they are quite low end and it would be safer to do this.
Now, if you HAVE to have all 600W you are correct in needing to show a 2ohm load. I'll spare you the fact that the BOSS amp will not really give you that much power. So anyways, you will need to bridge the 2 channels of the amp (connect + to + and - to -). Then you will need to wire the subs in parallel. http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html Then click on "2 SVC Parallel"
Connect the + to + and - to - of each sub.

PS: The amp specs show the MAX power is 300W@2ohm. I don't know what RMS is but it's probably closer to 200W. I'd still be cautious and turn the gain down on the amp to not blow the speakers. I'd also be afraid of that amp really being 2ohm stable. My recommendation is to wire as I stated first, one channel to one sub and the other channel to the other sub...but it's your stuff.

Last edited by remington109; 06-16-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:09 AM
thanks

thanks remington... i'll try that out.... any other pointers would be appreciated from anyone.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Like he said, Line out converter, and I would just put one sub on each channel.

Quick Reply: Sub/Amp wiring to factory head unit