Need help with subs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with subs

I have a 2000 F-150 Regular cab, and I am looking to buy a sub box or build one. I am thinking about putting 2 10" subs or maybe 4 8" subs. Any advice would be helpful. I was thinking about going with RE subs, and not sure what amp.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:48 AM
i'll try to help

welcome to the forum:

I'm gonna assume you are talking about the MTX pre-built box when referring to the RE's. If so, it is a good setup with a pretty decent thump off of even a cheapie amp. Sidenote: I installed a lanzar vibe 600 in a buddy's and he loves it. I'm a little bit more **** retentive and with the exception of JL (ungodly expensive) can't find a 10" to replace the pure thump of two 12"s.

I myself have a regular cab 00' model like you and went the 12" route and it worth the 2.26 inch seat adjustment loss (told you I'm ****). If you want the sound of bass, some good 4x8" woofer combo's are more than ample; the 10's will get you the feeling and 12's will get you both. The MTX box is phenomonal for aesthetic and ergonomic issues in regular cabs but it is limited in the hard thump. If you like the look but don't like the sound, buy it on ebay, get it and sell the subs to recoup some funds to upgrade the speakers (if you do this, slowly drill pilot holes before securing the new ones because the unit is plastic and will crack if you don't) and upgrade the subs. The 8" route any local stereo shop should be able to help you with that.

If you want to go 12"s gimme a heads-up and I'll send you a pic and my dimensions (it's plain and plain colored, but it hurts so good).

Good luck partner

votejeffforgod@yahoo.com

Old 02-15-2005, 01:41 AM
I just got through building and installing a 2 10" sub box. I will post pics of the plans and finished result. I have it installed but no pics yet.

More pics can be found here:
my gallery

I will explain the box plans better if you decide you want to build it. The only problem is the armrest requires the passanger seat to be moved forward and pivoted then move the passenger seat back. A small pain in the **** but worth it IMO.

Scott

Old 02-15-2005, 01:37 PM
single cab trucks are hard to put two 12's in, so i went with two 10's that can handle serious power and hooked them up to a 1200.1 amp to push them. sounds great and looks good too!

Old 02-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I just finished up my box a couple weeks ago for 4 RE8s.
These are really good subs for the money and I highly reccomend them... they have shallow mounting depth, low airspace requirements, sound good and play loud/low.

FYI: There is a group buy going on these subs over at www.caraudio.com/vb and you can get these subs for cheap!

The dimensions for my box are 16"H x 56"W x 4" Top Depth x 8" Bottom Depth.
The box is 1.54 ft^3 tuned to 28hz.

Last edited by Ray21; 02-15-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:55 AM
octogon169,

How do you like those PG Xenon subs? I was torn between those and the Kickers I that a purchased. Also I am running a PG Octane R 8.0:4. Great amp Have only been running it for 3 days. But, it is working flawlessly. Which amp did you get and how do you like it?

Thanks for info

Scotty

Last edited by Scotty08; 02-16-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:36 PM
do you have a direct link to the group purchase by any chance, for the Re stuff?

Old 02-17-2005, 05:00 AM
GA FOO

Originally posted by GA FOO 88
do you have a direct link to the group purchase by any chance, for the Re stuff?
no, MTX will not deal (at least not lower than I can currently get it new on ebay, or multi-purchase from crutchfield) low enough without mass volume purchasing. But if you want to go the ebay route. Let me know, I've got a few good guys that you can trust to get it to you without tormenting you for three weeks like a few other ones I know. Crutchfield is best for the paranoid mind, but if you know your seller (or trust the feedback)...ebay is the way to go for small one purchase deals

Old 02-17-2005, 09:58 PM
My mistake, i thaught the group purchase was on some RE RE subs. Thanks though.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:21 PM
First off, whoever molded your box (octogon) did one heck of a job!

Dont get hung up on diameter. Three good quality DVC 8" will hit just as low as two 12". Two twelves give you 24" of air pushing surface area. But so does four eights. If you port is tuned low enough, youll get all the excitment of 12" subs but a quicker and more accurate responce of 8" subs. You wont have as much impact as 12's but the SPL (loudness) and depth are identical. My audio group specializes in small diameter subs. Rockford Forgate P2, P3 or T1's work great. Wire the subs in a series and then parellel to the amp. when space is an issue, this works great. I hit 144db's with 8"s in my single cab.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:11 PM
the group buy is for re subs i don't know why mtx keeps popping up i highly rec. the re subs i just replaced my memphis with 4 of the 8" and love them runing off a directed 750d they have very good output never ran 8's before

Quick Reply: Need help with subs