need help wiring subs

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help wiring subs

I amp looking to get a Phoenix Gold Octane 8.0:4 amp. It is 75 watts x4 (4ohm), 250 x2 (4 ohm). I want to run 2 channels at (4ohm) for KAPPA 572.5CF speakers. The other 2 channels I want to bridge and run mono into 2 10" dual voice coil subs. Is this do able? I am pretty sure it can be.

My biggest problem is figuring how to run the subs to get the ohms to come out right. I would like to run them at 4 ohm. If I get 2 dual voice coil 2 ohm subs, I get either 8 ohms Series or 1 ohm parallel. Depending on how you figure it. If I get 2 4 ohm subs I figure it like this either 16 ohm series, thats a big NO, or 2 ohms parallel, closer to the 4 ohm I was looking for. Now for my big question. If I run the subs parallel / series I can figure it to 4 ohms. Is this possible?

Here is how I figured the series / parallel. Since these are 4 ohm dual coil subs, wiring them (the coils only) in series I get 8 ohm per sub. Then If i run those 2 subs (8 ohm each) in parallel. 8x8(64)/8+8(16)=4 Is this doable? Any and all help is very much appreciated. I would like to ask for those that really know for sure to reply and keep the guessing to a minimum.

Scotty

Old 01-28-2005, 04:11 AM
Sub wiring Diagram

I hope this helps explain a few things

Old 01-29-2005, 05:22 PM
SO that everyone knows, I found the info i needed. And the way I wanted to wire it up is OK. With a little difference from what I can remember. I went to the rock ford site under support. They have a bunch of different calculators that allow you to figure whatdoes what and the best way to hook things up. They also have a box calculator put in your dimensions and it will tell you the size of your box in CU ft.

When i get it all hooked up i will let everyone know how it sounds.

Scotty08

Old 02-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Yes you can do that Ohms is Ohms does not matter how you get there as long as you get there.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:39 PM
You can do it your way or you could.
Get 2 4ohm subs tie the voice coils in parallel you drop to a 2 ohm load per speaker then tie the speakers in series and the amp will see a 4 ohm load.

+- +-
+- +-

2 Ohms 2 Ohms

+ _

Run the positive of the left to the negative on the right

Then take the 2 left over in the secenario it would be the - on the left and the positive on the right and run those back to the amp.

Walli a 4 ohm load.

Hope this Helps

JD

Old 02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Most manufacturers who care about their reputations recommend strongly against series wiring between separate subwoofers. Voice coils, yes, subs, no. It can be a noticeable problem in a high end system. It has to do with the fact that, when wired in parallel, each sub receives the same signal and power. When wired in series this is not the case. With a pair of identical subs it's unlikely to be much of a problem in a daily driver. However, if someone were to use several subs it could be.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:42 PM
what the ??????

White 04F150; Makes no sense... You can't wire 2 subs in parallel and series at THE SAME TIME!

Old 02-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the help everybody. I have decided to run each coil in parallel and run each sub to one channel each of the amp. The amp will see a 2 ohm load per rear channel (sub Channels). this will give me the same wattage to each coil as wiring series/parallel that i asked about earlier, and add better clarity.

I decided on 2 Kicker CVR 10" I am going to use a Phoenix Gold R 8.0:4. Each sub will see 125 watts RMS (divide by 2 for each coil). 200 watt max per sub. It won't be the hardest thumping truck around. But I want good clear sound rather than Load and annoying. In other words I still wanna be able to hear my Infinity kappas that i will be installing also.

Scotty

Old 02-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by frostby
what the ??????

White 04F150; Makes no sense... You can't wire 2 subs in parallel and series at THE SAME TIME!
I think what he means is wire each sub's voice coils parallel, then wire the two subs series....

Quick Reply: need help wiring subs