Premium HU to Clarion Camouflage

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Premium HU to Clarion Camouflage

I'm intrigued by the Clarion Camo setup, with it's own amp and 8" sub. I wasn't really thinking about adding a subwoofer to my system (I'm planning updgrades now) but this "console" unit seems pretty good. And no, I don't listen to rap, so I don't need stop-sign-shaking thumping. This'll date me, but I'm a progressive rock fan from Ye Olden Tymes.

My question is whether or not the premium CD unit in my 2000 truck has an output for this amp. I plan on installing an amplifier to power 4 new 6x8 speakers, but I'm wondering where the Clarion amp gets wired in.

Any input (pardon the pun) guys?

TIA

------------------
Truck: 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 auto, supercab, oxford white/dark graphite, 3.55 LS, std bed, prem CD, class III towing, sliding rear window. ADDED: SuperChip, Westin step bars, Fumoto oil valve, Ford bugshield, Vent Visors, Penda Hide-A-Hooks, Rhino bed liner, SnugTop HiLiner shell cap, Lee Anderson carpet kit, Kleen Wheel brake dust shields, Yakima TerraGate 2 hitch bike rack, rubber duckie antenna, Ford wheel locks, dark gray Dash Mat, stoopid fuel magnets, Lund wiper cowl, EGR fender flares, Ford cabin air filtration, custom shell curtains, custom shell neons, custom sunglass insert. SOON: K&N FIPK, Flowmaster or Ravin exhaust, billet grille, fog lights.

Old 12-06-2000, 09:26 PM
Cool

Sorry, no amp output on that head unit. I just yanked mine and put in a new Clarion H/U. I kept the old one as a spare in case the Clarion ever craps out and needs to be sent off for repairs. You could do a line level to RCA level converter, but they don't sound so great. That's really your only two options.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

Old 12-07-2000, 01:30 AM
Thanks, 2000 F150 4X4, and nice truck ya gots there!

I thought I'd check to see if the input is there before calling Crutchfield and asking about their $50 wiring harness.

Regards,

Old 12-07-2000, 02:46 PM
I called Crutchfield and talked to Jed. He says if the premium CD player has an external amplifier, I can use speaker-level inputs to the subwoofer. This sounds okay since I'm going to run the 4 speakers off a new amplifier I just purchased from Crutchfield. Furthermore, Jed says if the premium HU does NOT have an external amp, then the $10 wiring T-harness should do the trick. The T-harness appears to be a straight-through wiring harness with extra inputs spliced in for the subwoofer.

Either way, it sounds do-able, if I decide to go with the Clarion Camouflage unit.

AM I MISSING ANYTHING?

Thanks for your input, Ford F150 4x4.

Old 12-07-2000, 08:34 PM
Cool

It doesn't have the extenal amp, it's in the head unit. The "T" he's talking about will just split off some of the speaker output to the amp. You will be running a speaker-level to RCA then, which is not the greatest setup. However, for just bass, it's not too bad. Is this what you plan to do? You want to run 4 new speakers off a 4 channel amp and add a subwoofer to the stock radio's output? How do you plan on getting the signal to the amp?

[This message has been edited by 2000 F150 4x4 (edited 12-08-2000).]

Old 12-08-2000, 01:25 AM
Damn good question, 2000 F150 4x4!

The signal to the new amp for the four speakers can come from either speaker-level inputs or RCA jacks. The t-harness job for the subwoofer signal pulls speaker-level input and feeds it to the amp in the subwoofer box, just as you said, 2000 F150 4x4.

I think I finally understand that the head unit doesn't have any amp output nor pre-amp line-out RCA jacks. Am I wrong or are my choices with this "premium" deck suddenly quite limited?!

So, rather than discuss complicated wiring configurations, may I ask what the pros and cons of speaker-level inputs are? I confess I haven't monkeyed with car stereos in over 15 years. Is the sound degradation compared to RCA jacks noticable? And what the heck is a line-level-to-RCA-converter?

I think I'll go read up on car stereos of today and come back with more intelligent questions for you guys; questions like: "Did that Clarion H/U you just bought have a separate line-out for subwoofers?"

Thanks for the help, and patience, so far.

P.S. Ol' Jed at Crutchfield didn't seem to understand the amp in these "premium" systems is just NOT external.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 12-08-2000).]

Old 12-08-2000, 06:30 PM
All the people who saw me install it (which you should not do in a conspicuous place) kinda thought I was crazy to yank out all the new stuff to replace it, but I'm glad I did. I would have taken a radio delete option if I could have. But mine was on the lot w/ premium sound.

The prob with rca>line level is you will be amplifing the sound that's already been amplified by the stock head unit, then reduced. It's double noise, distortion etc. I've never used them so I can't say how they sound. Most good amps do have line level inputs, you could at least try it if you can hook into the wires.

And yea, my Clarion H/U has a separate sub line out, adjustable to 7 line level settings
while you're rollin . Pretty nice feature actually.

I'm sure you'll figure it all out.. good luck

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2000, 08:48 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks,

Yeah, I'll figure it out, spend a month fretting over the details, buy and install everything and then enjoy it for 10 years without another thought.

Thanks for your input. I may post the ancillary question separately to get other folk's feedback on speaker-level inputs vs. pre-amp inputs.

Old 12-15-2000, 07:13 AM
As said before, most aftermarket amps have line level inputs, many are available with line level ins, 4 channels of output, and built in crossovers with sub pre-amp output. Seems like it would allow you to upgrade your 4 speaker system now and allow for the add on sub later without having to tear anything apart. Regarding the line level vs. preamp level inputs, line levels will not come close to ultimate sound quality of preamp levels, but you weigh the cost/benefit of one system over the other by considering what your goal is: improved factory system for casual enjoyment/moderate volume vs. all out audiophile system for sound competition, earth shaking bass, very loud listening levels. Aside from the purity/cleanliness of the signal, line levels add lots of distortion. Most of the distortion can be "tuned out" by adjusting input gains (most decent "line level in" amps have them) so that its imperceptable to human ears, but the distortion is still there. At high volumes (highly amplified signals) the constant distortion in the signal will eventually destroy speakers (the more sensitive the speaker the more succeptable it is to distortion damage). Again, this usually will occur only at "competition level" volumes and usually isn't a problem for average listening at moderate volumes. Sorry for the long post, no quick answer to the questions!
Good Luck!

------------------
Ed
White'00 #2006

Old 12-15-2000, 04:59 PM
Thanks, BOSTONL, I haven't fully decided on the design yet, but I can safely say I'm not looking for a comp system. I just want to feel my sternum vibrate a little when Tony Levin hits the low notes on his Chapman Stick...

Quick Reply: Premium HU to Clarion Camouflage