Amp And Speaker ?

Old 12-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp And Speaker ?

Hey guys i need some advice.

I have a 04 F150 Standard Cab. I have Pioneer 4 way 6x8s in it along with a JVC headunit. I just changed the JVC unit to a Kenwood Excelon unit that is more powerful. I purchased a Clarion 4 channel amp @50watt RMS from Crutchfield to amp the speakers with.

After i changed the Head Unit from JVC to the Kenwood Excelon the sound drastically improved. It is louder now and the bass hits harder with just the 6X8s. It is pretty loud as it is now so i was wondering if i should still amp them or just get a single 10 and run about 150 watts to it and just leave the Door Speakers alone.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Ryan

Old 12-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not trying to dis your speakers, but you may be disappointed if you amp those particular Pioneers and try to do some loud listening. They have a tendency to be very "harsh" in the high frequency area, especially when driven hard. If your intentions are to have a system with good sound quality CAPABILTY, you may need to look elsewhere for satisfactory "main" speakers. A good head unit will get about all the capabilities from those 4-ways. Those speakers and a HU are suitable for low to mid volume listening, at the most. If you want to stick with the stock location and a "drop in" type of speaker, go with a nice 2-way. There are dozens to choose from. Alpine, MBQuart, Eclipse, Boston Acoustics, Pioneer, Kicker are a few. They are all over ebay for <$100. There are reasons some 6x8s cost $30 and seemingly similar ones cost over $200, and all those reasons have to do with quality of construction and parts used in that construction. No magic, in spite of what some people want to think.

If you are happy with the set up as it is now and just want to add bass, you may be better off to just add a small sub to give you more depth in the sound. The 6x8s alone have a "thin" sound compared to what a sub will add, even a single 8", set up and installed correctly. In fact, that would probably be a good place to start, so that you don't overpower the "main" speakers with too much bass. System balance is a good thing.

Last edited by 97f250; 12-26-2004 at 08:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amp And Speaker ?