Need advice on sub woofer install

Old 12-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on sub woofer install

I have a powered subwoofer, it's a Clarion...don't have the model number just now, but i want to install under the front passenger seat of my '04 F-150 SCrew Lariat (NON-audiophile, with 6-disc in-dash CD changer. The Clarion instructions say to install in either one of two ways:

1. Use RCA pulgs to connect to line-outs from the head unit. The stock head unit does not have line outs, so I am opting for method #2:

2. Splice into left and right spearker wires. No problem here, but this leads to my question:

Should I splice into the speaker wires from the rear of the head unit? This location is easily accessible (thanks to instructions on other posts on this forum), but the wires are VERY, VERY tiny wires. Splicing would be possible, but very tedious.

Or should I splice elsewhere? Are the wires larger guage as they approach the speakers in the door panels? I guess I could remove door panels and check, but thought posting here would be easier.

Are there any plug-and-play connectors I could use to avoid splicing altogether?

Thanks for any advice,
CW

Old 12-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw on the Crutchfield web site that they have a "pigtail" connector like I'm looking for...it requires no splicing. One end connects to factory male harness; other end plugs into female on back of factory head unit, and has line-outs to go to subwoofer.

HOWEVER, it does not fit the '04 F-150. No surprise there! I don't think Crutchfield has ever had anything that fit any of the vehicles I have owned at the time. Seems like whatever I have is either too old or too new.

Oh, well...what can you do...

CW

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on sub woofer install