speaker sizes and amp recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker sizes and amp recommendations

im gunna be putting speakers in my truck, andi want to amp them so i get a little knock out of them- what sizes are the front and rear? im thinking about going with a component set for the front, and im not sure what size in the rear. i was also gunna add 2 individual 6x9's in seperate boxes, but we'll see-right now i am just concerned with the sizes and amp size, how does pioneer for the speakers sound?

i forgot to add that i have a 2000 F150 extended cab, 4x4

Last edited by rideblue450; 12-23-2004 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Many people would say that anything beyond the components in the front are a waste and that they mess up the staging. I had an extra set of components laying around so I went ahead and threw them in the rear doors; IMO anything beyond that is overkill.

Why the 6X9's in seperate boxes? Your money would be better spent on a good set of components like MB Quart, Infinity, etc. I you really want to put something in a box that will give you "a little knock" why not a couple of 8 or 10 inch subs?

Old 12-23-2004, 09:50 AM
I agree with brown. A set of quality comonents up front and a pair of 8" subs under the rear seats. I have comps all around but I'm upgrading the frt comps and the subs. I'll leave the JBL comps for rear fill which is overkill. The amps depend on the speaker needs. Some comps require alot of power to sound good some don't. Figure out what speakers you want and then buy and amp to fit them.
PS I have the same truck.

Old 12-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Cool

Your factory speaker sizes should be 5 x 7 all around. I am told that 6 x 8 will easily fit and 6.5" can be easily adapted with a plate.
I stuck with stock sizes in my F150. I would leave out the extra
6 x 9's in separate boxes and use the space for 1 or 2 subwoofers.
There are so many good brands of speakers out there. You should choose what you like. Of course, your budget determines your limits. I think Pioneer is good at lower price ranges. I would also consider Infinity, Alpine, and Eclipse.
Good luck.

P.S. I bought all Eclipse for my wife's Mercury Mountaineer. CD5444 HU and 5 x 7 3-ways front and rear. This is her Xmas present. She does not know and they are not yet installed. She had put "New Speakers" on her Xmas list. I found a killer sale and went a little crazy...
I will let you know how they sound after install.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:03 PM
thanks guys, now im just thinking a real nice head unit, a component set up front, and 5 x7 or 6x9 in the rear, and eventually a sub or two. do i have to do anything to make a 6x 9 fit? probably pioneer or infinity

Old 12-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by rideblue450
thanks guys, now im just thinking a real nice head unit, a component set up front, and 5 x7 or 6x9 in the rear, and eventually a sub or two. do i have to do anything to make a 6x 9 fit? probably pioneer or infinity
I would recommend skipping the rears altogether. Unless you are installing video equipment and want surround sound, rear speakers actually degrade sound quality, in comparison to a properly installed and aligned single component set up front. If you do go with rears, then stock speakers are more than sufficient, with the fade almost completely to the front. The rears should never be equal to or better than the fronts, in terms of quality or volume, if sound quality is the objective. If your intention is to simply have sound coming from behind you, and sound quality is second in importance, then put in the best speakers you can afford. But it is a proven fact that the typical 4 speaker "factory type" of set up is not desirable for sound quality results.

Quick Reply: speaker sizes and amp recommendations