Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers in the Headliner???

So, I have a killer system in my 01 Screw
-6.5" Boston seperates in the front
- 2 way 5x7 Bostons in the rear
- 12" rockford fosgate sub
- Two alpine 50x2 amps, one for the front, one for the rear
- on Big honking huge Rickford Amp, 800 watts x1

So, I feel like I'm not hearing enough mids and highs. I've always been a fan of the Boston 4x6 plates
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_pr...&CategoryID=14

So I have a pair on the way and I was thinking of putting them in the head liner. Where might you ask, well there is a pefect spot just in front of and behind the dome light. I figure the placement would be a good balance for front and rear passengers. It would take a little doing and I would have the headliner redone in black. I'm also going to do a FATMAT treatment to quiet the inside of the truck some too (like Dynamat).

Has anyone else put speakers in the headliner??? or would you suggest putting them someplace else??

Thanks,
PB

Old 11-28-2004, 12:07 PM
It sounds to me like you've got plenty of speakers already. Perhaps it's a matter of fine tuning that would get it sounding better. Do your BA Components have crossovers that you can adjust? Also, a trip to a pro installer to have it "dialed in" correctly did wonders for my system.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Are you referring to regular size speakers or just tweeters? Not sure what year your truck is but mine doesn't have enough clearance behind the headliner even @ the dome light. The only location with enough space to add speakers are at the back of the cab. (Where the clothes hanger hooks are) Even there fitting speakers will require cutting of interior sheet metal depending on their size. I was going to do that but then the speakers colors wouldn't match the liner's so I backed out.

Another thing, installing Dynamat on the roof doesn't make as much difference as putting it on the doors and floor. Slight difference at best although useful if you don't like to hear the sound of raindrops. Mat the roof and A pillars only if you're **** like me LOL.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:03 PM
the soundstage would be destroyed. either adjust your gains or have them adjusted so the system sounds balanced.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I agree your sound stage would be destroyed. The soud is suppose to sem as though the speakers are out on your hood next to the hood ornament. If you put the midrange or highs behind you then you have ruined this stage.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents.....I also thought about putting a pair of plates or just tweeters in the corners of the head liner in front of the sliding rear window in my '97 supercab. I visited a local shop and asked them about it and they also said don't bother. For the effort and money required, the sound stage would be wrecked and out of balance. Ended up buying two pairs of Kappas with just the rears amped, and the system is just fine.

I still need a sub though.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I think you would be better of with kick panels.

Quick Reply: Speakers in the Headliner???