Installing Speakers in the back box

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Speakers in the back box

I bought some cheapo boxed speakers and was thinking of installing them in the back box of my F150 S-Crew. We were tailgating at a Ottawa Senators hockey game on the weekend and I was thinking how sweet it would be to have some tunes in the rear area. I have a hard tonneau cover on the back so weather wil not be an issue.

Does anyone know if the CD Deck in the 2002 F150 screw have an extra speaker connection?
or will i need an amp to power those speakers up?
Any suggestions on how? or where? I should make the connection from the deck to the speakers?

I am somewhat of an electrical idiot but maybe with a little help from my Ford buds...I can do this myself.

Cheers!

Old 04-19-2004, 10:13 PM
This is more work than its worth. No your deck does not have extra leads. The only way to do this would be to either ditch the speakers in the rear doors and hook your "boxes" to the rear line or you could tap an LOC on the front speaker leads and hook an amp to them. Don't just add another set of speakers to the speaker leads with another speakers on the line. It will put too much of a load and most likley blow the deck. Would be loud for a little while though

You would be better off putting an amp and a couple nice speakers in the cab and just turn it up when you want to listen to it at the game. 200 watts and a set of CDT's would do the job. That way you get better sound when your driving around too.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:06 AM
i was thinking of doing that a while back with marine speakers, however i kinda realized its well not worth the work.
my 2nd idea was to run 0 gauge wires from the battery/alternator and run a seperate line and make a completely seperate deck/speakerbox system, but to even phathom the complications like exposed wirings, bed drilling, rewiring, etc etc etc, i decided not to because im not a master mechanic or electrician, i can barely install speakers in yet. well its a dream..

Old 04-20-2004, 07:51 AM
cheers lads.....I really appreciate the input. Maybe I will reconsider the idea.

Quick Reply: Installing Speakers in the back box