Cheap Azz Subs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Azz Subs

I was in wally world yesterday, and they had a sub 10"/amp/wiring kit made by LightningAudio for $183 +tax. It came with the box and everything. How cheap is LA? I just want a thump, so this would get me through until I got the money for a 'real' system. What's your thoughts?

Old 02-19-2004, 03:00 PM
I got an Lightning Audio amp. It wasn't great, but It wasn't that bad either. Looks ok. I'd stay away from the subs though. Get one good sub and push it on a lightning audio amp. That would be a better setup. Oh yea build the box yourself. Oh yea read some where elemental designs were gonna make a cheaper batch of subs than there good ones, because of the excess of material. You might wanna look into that. They will be a real good price.

Last edited by Invalid_access; 02-19-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:49 PM
LA subs suck. They can't reproduce a very good range with the clarity that you'd want at a moderate to high SPL. I'd be leary about running expensive subs on a cheap amp too, if you value your speakers. A cheap amp is prone to clipping, which will produce harmonics that we can't hear, but they will cause the temperature of your voice coils to rise, as well as distort their physical form. I have seen this happen in car audio, as well as PA equipment. Just my Humble Opinion.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Save a little bit more and go with something else. That combo is probably very low in quality and power.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:27 AM
I started with the approach of starting cheap and working up. I spent proabably double in the end. My advice is to save a little more and get something good. Most likely it will run for years and if you ever want to sell it to get something different it'll be worth something.

My experience is a cheap amp and good sub make cheap bass. A good amp and cheap sub can make good bass, until the sub blows up. You shoulda heard my Orion amp pushing Pyramid subs.

edit: btw, a good 10" with a lower power good amp will blow away a cheap 12 and cheap "higher power" amp. The $ spent might be %25-%50 more for the good setup.

Last edited by ViperGrendal; 02-20-2004 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys! I'll keep my money.

Old 02-20-2004, 06:12 PM
To start: "they had a sub 10"/amp/wiring kit made by LightningAudio for $183 +tax. It came with the box and everything."

Did you really need to ask: "How cheap is LA?"

Kinda self explanitory isn't it ?

Just bustin' ballz.........Save your money on quick fixes/impulse shopping...You can do alot better with a little more $$

Quick Reply: Cheap Azz Subs