How bout this

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bout this

Ok, I think i have finally figured out what i want and i wanted toknow what you guys think about it. This weekend myself and some freinds went around to listen to subs. We went into cartoys and they had a 12 W7 inthere with a hole in the cone and only 500 watts to it and I must say O MY GOD. This thind sounded awesome, to me anyway, It was seemed louder than my freinds 2 WO 12s and way way cleaner than them.. Anyway I think i am going to get one of them and power it by a rockford power 1001bd. So at 3 ohms it should push the rms of 750 to it. I want to put it in a sealed box... the specs say Sealed Range: 1.25 - 1.625 cu. ft. and Recommended Sealed Volume: 1.375 cu. ft. . Should i go with the recomended space or what space would you guys recomend? I heard it in the premade JL box and i loved it. Any help would be appriciated. Do tou guys think this could be a good setup? I thought about ported but i think i want to stick with sealed.

Thanks Guys,
X

Old 09-21-2003, 07:36 PM
JL w0's aren't even a comparison to w7's.

Old 09-22-2003, 05:35 AM
That is a very nice sub. Most important is YOU loved the way it sounds! As far as the enclosure goes I would suggest that you find out the specs of the box you heard it in and then build one to the same specs. Another thing you may want to consider is to get your amp installed and then place the sub and whatever box it is in now into your truck and listen to it to make sure it responds the same as it did in the store. Many times the sound will differ from in car and sound room so keep that in mind.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey thanks for the info. Haha i know W0s are no comparison to a W7 that was just a comparison i had. I think this will turn out better than my originalplan so thanx for all the help.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Where do you plan on putting it?

Old 09-22-2003, 01:11 PM
I have an extended cab and im gonna take out the small section of the rear seat and put the box there. I was thinkin bout havin pointing either at the roof or put a slant on the box and have it angled up at the drivers seat. Which would be best? If neather what would be better? I found the specs on the box i heard and it was a ported box. If I went with ported would 750 watts be to much? The rms says 750 but doesnt the rmsgo down with a ported box? Ill prolly end up going sealed but i would just like to know all my options.

Thanks,
X

Old 09-22-2003, 03:42 PM
I believe JL talks about that in their specs on what porting does. I think with a properly built box it doesn't effect the power handling. They do say to try and match the RMS power rating of the amp to the speaker and avoid clipping (duh) to enhance the life of the speaker. Here's their pdf on that sub....

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W7_MAN.pdf

Man, I would love to get my hands on one. I'm currently rebuilding a box for my 15w1, I hope it turns out good since I'm not following any specific recomendations. Now if it was a w7 I would be putting it in the best enclosure possible Good luck, I'm looking forward to your feedback on it.

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2003, 04:13 AM
You will not be dissapointed. I have a 10w7 in a 1.15cf sealed box powered by a JL 500/1 and is easily the best sounding system I have ever had!

Old 09-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Ok thanks for the info guys. I think im gonna start with a sealed box. Then if i decide i want a little more out of it i will get a ported. If i do a ported i want to make it pretty custom like a plexi window. Its a shame to hide that rear end in the box. Again thanks for the help. If things go right i will order my sub and amp today!!! Man I cant wait!

Thanks,
X

Old 09-23-2003, 10:56 PM
i just ordered my sub and amp this morning! should be here next week! Man i cant wait I hope it turns out good. Should i place the box firing into the bck of my seat or at the roof? What would be the sound difference?

Thanks,
X

Old 09-23-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't know how much it really matters but mine is sidefiring.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:12 PM
What is W7 and who makes it? I guess i know it a sub, I have a 2002 Super Crew does anyone know a great box builder in the Orange County area for such a app. Also I was told to just run one 5 channel AMP. Anyone using just that? How do you liek it did you make a mistake. ANy and all help welcome just dont tell me to go FORD myself lol

Old 09-24-2003, 10:19 PM
W7 is a series made by JL Audio. As far as a 5 channel amp it doesn't really make much difference unless you are going for a monster system. A super high output 5 channel would be rather large. The main purpose of a 5 channel is to save space while amplifying everything. I've never run a 5 channel myself, just 4 and 2. If my current amp ever goes I might look into a good 5 channel. Unless of course I decide to go with a high power sub that needs 500 watts or more.

As far as firing a sub goes, in my experience it depends on the vehicle. In a trunk rear firing is usally best. In my Expi firing up or rear works good. (I'm running rear now and like it). In a small cab pickup I like forward firing. I had an S-10 ext cab and rear facing sounded wierd. In a hatchback up is the way to go. I would say try forward firing in an Supercab or SuperCrew F-150. I don't think rear would work well in that small of an area.

Old 09-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Ok one last question?!?! The recomended airspace for a sealed box is 1.375. The displacement of the sub is .14 so do i need to build the box to 1.515? Or do you think that is that mesurement already takes that into consideration.

Thanks,
X

Old 09-25-2003, 06:56 PM
that number includes displacement already.

Quick Reply: How bout this