Go Back  F150online Forums > Regional Forums > South
Another Houstonian Here >

Another Houstonian Here

South AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Another Houstonian Here

 
  #16  
Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntsville/Cypress, TX
Posts: 2,970
Originally Posted by ddellwo View Post
Is this a monthly deal? I went to one event they had at Joe's Crab Shack over by Willowbrook Mall a few years ago, but haven't been to one since.
its a weekly meet. every friday around 9
 
  #17  
Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South Houston
Posts: 7
Santa Fe in the house!
South Houston
 
  #18  
Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 49
Welcome. Im also new here. I live in The Woodlands but about to move to the Lake Houston side o' town
 
  #19  
Old 09-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SW FLORIDA
Posts: 2,048
I'm considering moving to the Houston area for work..What's a good suburb to move to? I have done some research and it seems there is allot of crime in the inner city which I would expect with any large city.. I was initially thinking of Cypress.. But now Im thinking about the Sugarland area.. What do you guys think? My office would be in the Aldine area but dont really need to be that close as i wouldnt need to frequent the office..

Any help is appreciated!
 
  #20  
Old 09-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rosenberg/Baytown TX
Posts: 8,673
Both cypress and sugarland are good parts of town. I'm from Missouri city which is right next to sugarland. It's a good area but just depends on your range as there's some new neighborhoods and some expensive ones also. Cypress is about the same way. Both are expanding fast.

I would say traffic on 290 is worse than on us 59 though.
 
  #21  
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntsville/Cypress, TX
Posts: 2,970
Originally Posted by thejake1989 View Post
Both cypress and sugarland are good parts of town. I'm from Missouri city which is right next to sugarland. It's a good area but just depends on your range as there's some new neighborhoods and some expensive ones also. Cypress is about the same way. Both are expanding fast.

I would say traffic on 290 is worse than on us 59 though.
X2 for Cypress. Ive lived there for 21 years. It really has been expanding alot the last few years. There really is a lot out there now.
 
  #22  
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
PawPaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lockport, La.
Posts: 4,502
I've got a daughter that lives in League City and my wife's sister and her family live all around the Houston area. I've seen a lot of changes in the 50+ year's I've been going to Houston.
 
  #23  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SW FLORIDA
Posts: 2,048
Does TX have annual vehicle inspections? If so, What do they inspect? FL doesn't have any vehicle inspections and I have 5% tint, off-road exhaust painted/tinted lights.. Am i screwed if I move there?
 
  #24  
Old 09-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rosenberg/Baytown TX
Posts: 8,673
Yes we do have yearly inspections. But if you know some one you'll be fine. Biggest thing will be your tails and tint but unless your in friendswood or pearland or get pulled over by a trooper outside of Houston area your good. Will your exhaust not pass a sniffer? If not you can alway go outside of Harris county (Houston) to a non emissions county like where I'm at and it's 15 bucks and they just check your headlights turn signals etc. And you can roll your windows down and pull the fuse before inspection since they don't "have" to work haha
 
  #25  
Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 11
Well, my wife and I own a small window tinting company. We are NOT mobile. we mainly do commercial and residential window tinting, but still do quite a bit of auto tinting. Visit us at www.cypresswindowtinting.com or call 281-463-4500.

Just as a heads up, we are NOT the cheapest in town. We offer quality films. A 4 door F150 with a slider typically goes for $130-$150 depending on the year. We tint every car on the lot for Gillman Nissan in Rosenberg. We are legit, insured, and dedicated.

Come get yer truck tinted and lets talk trucks and post pics of the meeting.
 
  #26  
Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by BLACKOUT FX4 View Post
Does TX have annual vehicle inspections? If so, What do they inspect? FL doesn't have any vehicle inspections and I have 5% tint, off-road exhaust painted/tinted lights.. Am i screwed if I move there?
5% is still illegal in Florida, and here. An inspector will fail you for all three listed. Get your truck tinted legal and you wont have a problem, as well as your tail lights.

Originally Posted by thejake1989 View Post
Yes we do have yearly inspections. But if you know some one you'll be fine. Biggest thing will be your tails and tint but unless your in friendswood or pearland or get pulled over by a trooper outside of Houston area your good. Will your exhaust not pass a sniffer? If not you can alway go outside of Harris county (Houston) to a non emissions county like where I'm at and it's 15 bucks and they just check your headlights turn signals etc. And you can roll your windows down and pull the fuse before inspection since they don't "have" to work haha
No, none of this is true. He wont need to have a "sniffer" for inspection b/c he has an OBDII computer and his truck in 96 or newer. What the inspector will do is plug the machine into his computer for the emission part of the inspection. Even if it did need a "sniffer" you cannot go outside Harris County to get it inspected IF the vehicle is registered in Harris County. The only way that could happen is if he was registered in a county where they dont do emission testing with a "sniffer" which is getting fewer and fewer.

As far as the exhaust, they will check for cats, which are required. If your MIL light is on, its an automatic FAIL on the machine. Im not sure though if MIL eliminators are able to "trick" the inspection computer.

Rolling the windows down and pulling fuses doesnt work too often anymore either. When I was an inspector, we would check for a pulled fuse if the windows were rolled down and they wouldnt go up. You have to remember, its not worth the ticket an inspector can recieve by not doing his job correctly...unless, like mentioned, you know someone.

Im just playing devils advocate here...not started a yelling match.
 
  #27  
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rosenberg/Baytown TX
Posts: 8,673
Originally Posted by TintJunkie View Post
5% is still illegal in Florida, and here. An inspector will fail you for all three listed. Get your truck tinted legal and you wont have a problem, as well as your tail lights.



No, none of this is true. He wont need to have a "sniffer" for inspection b/c he has an OBDII computer and his truck in 96 or newer. What the inspector will do is plug the machine into his computer for the emission part of the inspection. Even if it did need a "sniffer" you cannot go outside Harris County to get it inspected IF the vehicle is registered in Harris County. The only way that could happen is if he was registered in a county where they dont do emission testing with a "sniffer" which is getting fewer and fewer.

As far as the exhaust, they will check for cats, which are required. If your MIL light is on, its an automatic FAIL on the machine. Im not sure though if MIL eliminators are able to "trick" the inspection computer.

Rolling the windows down and pulling fuses doesnt work too often anymore either. When I was an inspector, we would check for a pulled fuse if the windows were rolled down and they wouldnt go up. You have to remember, its not worth the ticket an inspector can recieve by not doing his job correctly...unless, like mentioned, you know someone.

Im just playing devils advocate here...not started a yelling match.
The still use exhaust dynos for inspection and i know this because ive had them do it on my old truck in houston.

and going outside of Harris county for inspection is ok for certain cases such as i can do it because im in college station for 8-9 months out of the yr. and the difference of the stickers isnt much at all is what im saying so you wouldnt get pulled over in harris county just cuz they could tel you had a different sticker because they really cant see unless your right next to the truck standing looking at it
 
  #28  
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntsville/Cypress, TX
Posts: 2,970
most inspectors in other counties will inspect your vehicle as long as you bring something with your name and a local address on it. I know alot of ppl that do it up here in huntsville.
 
  #29  
Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by thejake1989 View Post
The still use exhaust dynos for inspection and i know this because ive had them do it on my old truck in houston.

and going outside of Harris county for inspection is ok for certain cases such as i can do it because im in college station for 8-9 months out of the yr. and the difference of the stickers isnt much at all is what im saying so you wouldnt get pulled over in harris county just cuz they could tel you had a different sticker because they really cant see unless your right next to the truck standing looking at it
Not unless your vehicle is equipped with an OBD1 computer, or 95/older. I have a 1997. They WILL NOT put the sniffer in the pipe, unless the computer/computer communication doesnt work.
 
  #30  
Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 45
just joined. bought me a 2004 FX4. live in the katy area but work down at NASA. are there any meets in the katy area
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Houstonian Here


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: