South AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Another Houstonian Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Is this a monthly deal? I went to one event they had at Joe's Crab Shack over by Willowbrook Mall a few years ago, but haven't been to one since.
its a weekly meet. every friday around 9

Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Santa Fe in the house!
South Houston

Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Welcome. Im also new here. I live in The Woodlands but about to move to the Lake Houston side o' town

Old 09-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm considering moving to the Houston area for work..What's a good suburb to move to? I have done some research and it seems there is allot of crime in the inner city which I would expect with any large city.. I was initially thinking of Cypress.. But now Im thinking about the Sugarland area.. What do you guys think? My office would be in the Aldine area but dont really need to be that close as i wouldnt need to frequent the office..

Any help is appreciated!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Both cypress and sugarland are good parts of town. I'm from Missouri city which is right next to sugarland. It's a good area but just depends on your range as there's some new neighborhoods and some expensive ones also. Cypress is about the same way. Both are expanding fast.

I would say traffic on 290 is worse than on us 59 though.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
Both cypress and sugarland are good parts of town. I'm from Missouri city which is right next to sugarland. It's a good area but just depends on your range as there's some new neighborhoods and some expensive ones also. Cypress is about the same way. Both are expanding fast.

I would say traffic on 290 is worse than on us 59 though.
X2 for Cypress. Ive lived there for 21 years. It really has been expanding alot the last few years. There really is a lot out there now.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I've got a daughter that lives in League City and my wife's sister and her family live all around the Houston area. I've seen a lot of changes in the 50+ year's I've been going to Houston.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Does TX have annual vehicle inspections? If so, What do they inspect? FL doesn't have any vehicle inspections and I have 5% tint, off-road exhaust painted/tinted lights.. Am i screwed if I move there?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Yes we do have yearly inspections. But if you know some one you'll be fine. Biggest thing will be your tails and tint but unless your in friendswood or pearland or get pulled over by a trooper outside of Houston area your good. Will your exhaust not pass a sniffer? If not you can alway go outside of Harris county (Houston) to a non emissions county like where I'm at and it's 15 bucks and they just check your headlights turn signals etc. And you can roll your windows down and pull the fuse before inspection since they don't "have" to work haha

Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Well, my wife and I own a small window tinting company. We are NOT mobile. we mainly do commercial and residential window tinting, but still do quite a bit of auto tinting. Visit us at www.cypresswindowtinting.com or call 281-463-4500.

Just as a heads up, we are NOT the cheapest in town. We offer quality films. A 4 door F150 with a slider typically goes for $130-$150 depending on the year. We tint every car on the lot for Gillman Nissan in Rosenberg. We are legit, insured, and dedicated.

Come get yer truck tinted and lets talk trucks and post pics of the meeting.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by BLACKOUT FX4
Does TX have annual vehicle inspections? If so, What do they inspect? FL doesn't have any vehicle inspections and I have 5% tint, off-road exhaust painted/tinted lights.. Am i screwed if I move there?
5% is still illegal in Florida, and here. An inspector will fail you for all three listed. Get your truck tinted legal and you wont have a problem, as well as your tail lights.

Yes we do have yearly inspections. But if you know some one you'll be fine. Biggest thing will be your tails and tint but unless your in friendswood or pearland or get pulled over by a trooper outside of Houston area your good. Will your exhaust not pass a sniffer? If not you can alway go outside of Harris county (Houston) to a non emissions county like where I'm at and it's 15 bucks and they just check your headlights turn signals etc. And you can roll your windows down and pull the fuse before inspection since they don't "have" to work haha
No, none of this is true. He wont need to have a "sniffer" for inspection b/c he has an OBDII computer and his truck in 96 or newer. What the inspector will do is plug the machine into his computer for the emission part of the inspection. Even if it did need a "sniffer" you cannot go outside Harris County to get it inspected IF the vehicle is registered in Harris County. The only way that could happen is if he was registered in a county where they dont do emission testing with a "sniffer" which is getting fewer and fewer.

As far as the exhaust, they will check for cats, which are required. If your MIL light is on, its an automatic FAIL on the machine. Im not sure though if MIL eliminators are able to "trick" the inspection computer.

Rolling the windows down and pulling fuses doesnt work too often anymore either. When I was an inspector, we would check for a pulled fuse if the windows were rolled down and they wouldnt go up. You have to remember, its not worth the ticket an inspector can recieve by not doing his job correctly...unless, like mentioned, you know someone.

Im just playing devils advocate here...not started a yelling match.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by TintJunkie
5% is still illegal in Florida, and here. An inspector will fail you for all three listed. Get your truck tinted legal and you wont have a problem, as well as your tail lights.

No, none of this is true. He wont need to have a "sniffer" for inspection b/c he has an OBDII computer and his truck in 96 or newer. What the inspector will do is plug the machine into his computer for the emission part of the inspection. Even if it did need a "sniffer" you cannot go outside Harris County to get it inspected IF the vehicle is registered in Harris County. The only way that could happen is if he was registered in a county where they dont do emission testing with a "sniffer" which is getting fewer and fewer.

As far as the exhaust, they will check for cats, which are required. If your MIL light is on, its an automatic FAIL on the machine. Im not sure though if MIL eliminators are able to "trick" the inspection computer.

Rolling the windows down and pulling fuses doesnt work too often anymore either. When I was an inspector, we would check for a pulled fuse if the windows were rolled down and they wouldnt go up. You have to remember, its not worth the ticket an inspector can recieve by not doing his job correctly...unless, like mentioned, you know someone.

Im just playing devils advocate here...not started a yelling match.
The still use exhaust dynos for inspection and i know this because ive had them do it on my old truck in houston.

and going outside of Harris county for inspection is ok for certain cases such as i can do it because im in college station for 8-9 months out of the yr. and the difference of the stickers isnt much at all is what im saying so you wouldnt get pulled over in harris county just cuz they could tel you had a different sticker because they really cant see unless your right next to the truck standing looking at it

Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
most inspectors in other counties will inspect your vehicle as long as you bring something with your name and a local address on it. I know alot of ppl that do it up here in huntsville.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
The still use exhaust dynos for inspection and i know this because ive had them do it on my old truck in houston.

and going outside of Harris county for inspection is ok for certain cases such as i can do it because im in college station for 8-9 months out of the yr. and the difference of the stickers isnt much at all is what im saying so you wouldnt get pulled over in harris county just cuz they could tel you had a different sticker because they really cant see unless your right next to the truck standing looking at it
Not unless your vehicle is equipped with an OBD1 computer, or 95/older. I have a 1997. They WILL NOT put the sniffer in the pipe, unless the computer/computer communication doesnt work.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 PM
just joined. bought me a 2004 FX4. live in the katy area but work down at NASA. are there any meets in the katy area

Quick Reply: Another Houstonian Here