South AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

LA DMV = The Dark Ages

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA DMV = The Dark Ages

So I'm off to renew my driver's license this afternoon. I am forced to do this in person because Louisiana DMV does not allow sequential renewals online or by mail. I get to the DMV where the staffing is like the Postal Service - two dozen windows, about half empty. (Can you say job opportunity?)

I take my number and wait. And wait. And wait. 40 minutes later it's my turn. I read the eye chart, show proof of insurance, surrender my old license and OOPS! The renewal fee is $36.50 (thanks to a new onerous $15 additional fee recently approved by our state lawmakers) and IT'S CASH ONLY!!!

Huh? No credit card, debit card or checks, cash only! Never mind that I just renewed a trailer registration online by credit card, or that I CAN renew my license online by credit card (when allowed) but at the DMV its Cash Only! And nobody tells you until it's time to pay!

How weird is that when today a kid selling lemonade on the side of the road can accept credit cards.

Three suggestions for DMV:
1) post a large brightly colored sign at the entrance saying "All transactions Cash Only!" (I could have turned around and gone o the nearest ATM).
2) Put a ATM machine in the DMV offices (this could actually earn money for the state and pay for those door signs or, heaven forbid, hiring a few more workers.)
3) Get with the rest of the world and start accepting credit cards, it ain't rocket science.

Proof once again that Louisiana is as backward as I always thought it was!

The attendant helping me said "we've been told its coming, but we don't know when." If our elected officials can't figure out how the state can accept credit cards, how the hell can we expect them to deal with life threatening situations like oil spills and hurricanes? Oh wait. They don't - they just blame everybody else!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't look now, but LA is always ranked last or next to last in EVERYTHING that means anything in regard to the quality of life...right up there with Mississippi. When no one pays any taxes, your state doesn't have much to invest in its people.

Jim

Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
So I'm off to renew my driver's license this afternoon. I am forced to do this in person because Louisiana DMV does not allow sequential renewals online or by mail. I get to the DMV where the staffing is like the Postal Service - two dozen windows, about half empty. (Can you say job opportunity?)

I take my number and wait. And wait. And wait. 40 minutes later it's my turn. I read the eye chart, show proof of insurance, surrender my old license and OOPS! The renewal fee is $36.50 (thanks to a new onerous $15 additional fee recently approved by our state lawmakers) and IT'S CASH ONLY!!!

Huh? No credit card, debit card or checks, cash only! Never mind that I just renewed a trailer registration online by credit card, or that I CAN renew my license online by credit card (when allowed) but at the DMV its Cash Only! And nobody tells you until it's time to pay!

How weird is that when today a kid selling lemonade on the side of the road can accept credit cards.

Three suggestions for DMV:
1) post a large brightly colored sign at the entrance saying "All transactions Cash Only!" (I could have turned around and gone o the nearest ATM).
2) Put a ATM machine in the DMV offices (this could actually earn money for the state and pay for those door signs or, heaven forbid, hiring a few more workers.)
3) Get with the rest of the world and start accepting credit cards, it ain't rocket science.

Proof once again that Louisiana is as backward as I always thought it was!

The attendant helping me said "we've been told its coming, but we don't know when." If our elected officials can't figure out how the state can accept credit cards, how the hell can we expect them to deal with life threatening situations like oil spills and hurricanes? Oh wait. They don't - they just blame everybody else!
Funny, I live in Michigan............ sadly you are not alone, if I didn't know any better you stole my story (but I know you didn't) that is the way "government" works (or doesn't work).......

The really scary thing.............. this will be: "Coming to a Government run (health-care) Theater near you" Don't get sick and/or "die quickly" as US Rep. Alan Grayson would say.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like S.O.P. for most DMV's---DISRESPECTING MORE VICTIMS ha ha!
Sorry about youe adventure.

Quick Reply: LA DMV = The Dark Ages