South AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Midland (?!?!?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midland (?!?!?)

Hello All,

Looking to anyone and everyone for their opinions/thoughts about middle of nowhere Midland Texas?

From Massachusetts and lived in the northeast my entire life, but an incredible job opportunity has come up and now my wife and I are contemplating the move. We have 2 little ones and that plays a big part of our reasoning to move or stay.

We flew down and saw the area which we pleasantly surprised by. It seems like the perfect place to raise your kids and not spend an arm and a leg on housing and living.

thoughts from anyone? I'd really appreciate it.

Randy

Old 03-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Unhappy

Nothing???? No One??? I know Midland is small and all, but the lack of responses makes me even more nervous....

Let me ask a more broad question....anyone even heard of Midland? Any stories opinions about it?

Thanks
-Nervous Yankee moving down south!!!!

Old 03-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I live in Amarillo, Texas, which is about 5 hours drive north of Midland. Surprisingly, though, Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, San Angelo, and Amarillo are all similar in the fact that we take GREAT Pride in our high school athletics (especially football and girls basketball) and usually Great Pride in our communities. The cost of living is fairly low, weather is varied (mostly in the Panhandle, which is where Amarillo is). For example, we have had almost 40" of snow this winter, wich is WAY above normal for us; we normally have fairly low yearly precipitation.

The people are usually friendly anywhere in Texas, and I'm sure your new neighbors would welcome you with open arms. Just tell'em "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could," and they'll treat you like a local.

I always say Amarillo is a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit for the fact that if your not part of the community, there isn't a whole lot of entertainment. The people make this place great to live, not because we might have an Amusement park, or a 500 screen movie-plex.

I say move to Texas......it's a whole other country!!!!

Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 PM
I forgot.....

If you don't like wind, dust, cattle, or oil, then Midland might not be the place for you. You will find dust/dirt in places you never dreamed about.

But after a while, you get used to it. I still say go for it if the opportunity is that great for you and your family.....the kids will adjust.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:04 AM
It's a nice town,nice places too shop,eat and and a air port to fly any where to.Oddesa is not too far away with places too shop also.The people are great too,the weather gets bad at times with hail and high winds other then that it's great.Alot people go there too shop and eat from Hobbs NM and Carlsbad NM.Lots of pump jacks and farming around,when they plow is were you get alot of the blowing dirt.We thought about Midland or Lubbock at one time for the med is better there if you need a doctor they have good heath care in these towns.The town is layed out like Lubbock and is easy to get around with the loop it has.So come on down,you will enjoy this town I bet for a new place to hang your hat and call home.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
I was raised about 40 miles South of Lubbock in Post and my wife's family lived in Odessa. Once you get used to the wind/sand, it is really a nice place to live. I now live @ Canyon Lake and don't have to put up with the wind/sand, but I'd bet you will like the area!

Old 03-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Phew...

Thanks all....I did accept the job and will be down there in a couple of weeks. I'm excited.

Everything I have heard is it's a great place if you are married and looking to raise your kiddo's, which is my exact situation.

Gonna have to russle me up a big 'ol belt buckle, 10 gallon hat and some boots....hooooooo weeeeeeee!!

Thanks for the feed back!!!

Old 03-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Just to disprove the myths that people ask:

1)No, we do not still ride horses to work and school....
just to the movies and grocery store.

2)We don't all wear 10-gallon hats....
you'll find that 12 gallon fits better.

3)We do not talk with a drawl.....
ya'll talk to fast.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont wanna look like a touist or just plain goof, dress "normal". I have lived in Texas my whole life, and I have only dressed like that once....Halloween.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jamzwayne

If you dont wanna look like a touist or just plain goof, dress "normal". I have lived in Texas my whole life, and I have only dressed like that once....Halloween.

I dress like that all the time. I thought it was normal

Midland/Odessa is OK. I only spent 6 weeks there on a training school one but it was very friendly.
If you watch the movie "Friday Night Lights" it's all about Odessa and the Permian High Football team.

MOJO baby

Old 05-10-2005, 11:17 AM
bosox1007:

How was the move? Everything go ok?

I may be moving to Midland in the next couple of weeks for a summer internship, then back home for my last semester, then if all goes well with the internship move to Houston. If I do get down to Midland, we'll have to meet up for some wings and beer!

Old 05-29-2005, 02:05 AM
Welcome to Mudville, I mean Midland lol

I'm a native Midlander or Mudville as my wife calls it

If your in Midland right now, take a picture of the weather. We get about seven inches of a rain a years and all at once It rains enough to mess up your car with all the dirt blowning around in the air. Anways, we got a saying here, "Raise your kids in Midland and go to Odessa to raise hell". Odessa or Hodessa as some call it, is a like size town 20 miles west of us. Midland is pretty much white collar jobs while Odessa is blue collar jobs. This area revolves around the oil field in a bad way. If you got a decent job, than your doing pretty good. Just Pm/email me if you got any questions about Midland and things to do around here.

Laters
Ray

Ps. This is not to promote another site but simply to aid a fellow memeber to our community....there is a local forum of mostly Midlanders and surrounding areas call Anythingcars.com I use the same user name on both of these forums.

Last edited by SVORay; 05-29-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:05 AM
I grew up in Odessa. I don't know about all that white/blue collar stuff. Dang Midlanders get a Wall St. and they think they are high society.

Have lived in New Braunfels, Canyon Lake and near Austin. (Austin Rocks!) Looks like everyone gave you a pretty good idea so far. Just remember, Odessa may be a relatively large Texas city, (there are hundreds of small towns) the people are friendly. That is something I appreciate after having been stationed in northern California for 4 years. Sadly I must live in New Mexico (no offense) right now, but I'll be home in a year or two! Anyway let us know what you think/how things have worked out fer ya.

GO MOJO!

Quick Reply: Midland (?!?!?)