Rough idle no codes. Rebuilt 2004 F150 motor. 4.6L V8.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough idle no codes. Rebuilt 2004 F150 motor. 4.6L V8.

First off hello and thank you all beforehand. This is my first forum post and it’s about my first F150 truck. This started as a head job but since everything was taken apart I figured let’s rebuild the whole thing. I’ve just finished rebuilding my motor after 2 months ( cutting **** out that was welded and rewelding) and started it up today. It drives good just idles roughly and I’m getting no codes even after driving it for an approximate 10 mile test drive. The warmer the engine gets the tougher it idles. I’ve tested for vacuum leaks on the intake, elbow, and throttle body. Those are good. Spark plugs and ignition coils are new. I personally have come up with a few things that may be affecting the idle but wanted the input of the F150 community. Here’s what I’m thinking....
- it’s a rebuild and needs it’s time to break in
- time to replace the O2 sensors and possibly the cat
- clean or replace MAF sensor
​​​​​​- there’s a vacuum leak I missed
- dirty or faulty fuel injectors

thats what ive hot but I want input from everyone else as well and once again thank you. I’ll add links of videos with the idle before and after rebuild when I get them uploaded.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
If it's a rebuild, it will idle OK if was rebuilt right.

I would replace the O2 sensors and the cats (or delete them). Replace the MAF sensor and fuel injectors.

If it was project, I wouldn't have batted an eye on those small things, especially if the engine was on a pallet or engine stand.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
If it's a rebuild, it will idle OK if was rebuilt right.

I would replace the O2 sensors and the cats (or delete them). Replace the MAF sensor and fuel injectors.

If it was project, I wouldn't have batted an eye on those small things, especially if the engine was on a pallet or engine stand.

I’ve got two injectors with connections loose at the bottom connecting to the intake. They wiggle a lot. Think they’re leaking out at the bottom? If so would I need new injectors or replace the bottom o-rings?

Last edited by Robby Webb; 04-25-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would just replace them.

Quick Reply: Rough idle no codes. Rebuilt 2004 F150 motor. 4.6L V8.