2004 - 2008 F-150

Fuse 14 blowing in reverse (ABS and BRAKE illuminate in the dash)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse 14 blowing in reverse (ABS and BRAKE illuminate in the dash)

Fuse 14 will blow when I shift into reverse. It isn't instantly. I replaced the fuse and was able to back out of my driveway and made it over to a friends house but when backing out of his driveway I could hear my radio make some weird interference noises and then the fuse blew and the ABS and BRAKE light illuminated in the dash.

It sounds like there are quote a few things on the fuse 14 circuit. You hear a lot of talk about the heated PCV but I doubt it would be that as it only seems to happen in reverse. I would assume it would have to be somewhere in my reverse light circuit?

This sounds like a fairly common problem as there are multiple threads but most of them aren't solved so I was wondering if anyone ever had this happen and solved the issue?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Could be anything on the load side of the DTR switch's REVERSE output. See the attached diagram, refer to the green/yellow line on the diagram (Circuit 1043).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2007_F150_F14_Circuit.pdf (773.2 KB, 701 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 AM
I havent had time to work on it yet but will be either today or this weekeend.

One thing I would like to note is that when driving around with the fuse blown, my radio will make some weird static sounds that it never did before and I heard this noise even louder right when the fuse blew.

It looks like It could only be 3 problems because I dont have audio unit(nav only), auto-dimming interior mirror or the parking aid module. ( you will see these on the left side of the schematic).

1. Short in the wiring going to the trailer tow relay or reverse lights.

2. Short in the reverse bulbs or connections

3. The trailer Tow Relay coil shorted. * I thinking this could be a good possibility. However, when looking at the fuse/relay layout and looking in my manual I could not find a relay labled this. Does anyone know where its located and what number relay it is? Im refering to the 13-1 relay in the schematic.

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM
I'd focus on items 1 & 2 on your list starting with the bulbs and sockets.

A shorted relay coil, while not impossible, would be very rare. I've been doing electronics servicing for forty years and I've seen perhaps a handful of those failures during that time. Can't remember the last one, quite frankly.

The trailer tow reversing lamp relay is installed in the central junction box and is not a removable (plug-in) component. The designation of "13-1" isn't a reference to the relay, it's a reference to a different sheet/cell in the set of schematics.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Pulled tails and inspected wires/bulb connector and everything looked OK. Pulled bulp and ohmed out ground/12V+ connection and I got a reading in the high MegaOhms which I would believe would probably be accurate or should this be totally open?. Put new bulbs in and buttoned back up and it still popped fuse 14.

I noticed my trailer harness wire loom/tape was getting pretty frayed so I tore that all off and inspected the pink/black wire and it looked OK. I then dropped my spare tire and inspected the harness which looked ok. HOWEVER, when I disconnected the harness and started the truck and went into reverse it DID NOT blow the fuse. I then plugged it back in and it did blow it either I left the spare off and drove the truck to work today and it was working fine until about half way there I could start hearing static in my radio which is what you hear when it blows so i pulled over and went into reverse and sure enough it popped.

I know that the trailer wire harness pink/white should not be blowing fuse 14 but if you look at it on the schematic it is labeled pink/white and wire 140 so I think it is still possible(maybe im wrong).

My next question would be , where does this pink wire head up to the front of the truck? I believe Ive read somewhere that it runs along the drivers side scuff plate. I have tapped into wires in there before when Installed the auto popper tailagate connections. Im hoping that maybe i knicked that black/pink wire installation and thats the culrpit. Is that the location is runs to the front of the truck?

Thanks for the help guys...

Last edited by mgp32; 09-20-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM
A short circuit to ground of circuit # 140 should blow ONLY fuse F10 and ONLY when the shift lever is in reverse unless there was a very weird cross-connection between circuits.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM
---

Last edited by mgp32; 10-23-2017 at 03:03 PM.