2015 - 2020 F-150

Replacing Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing Rotors

I'm planning to replace my pads and rotors. Does anyone recommend drilled and slotted rotors? Or should I stick with OEM?

I'll probably go with Raybestos pads. Unless I should stick with OEM there too. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles did you get out of them?

Old 06-26-2017, 04:20 PM
I'm close to 40k, but I drive it like I stole it, so most people will probably get more. Replacing tires in the next couple weeks too. Mine came with the Hankooks.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The idea behind the drilled and slotted rotors is to unload the gas from the pads during hard braking. With current technology in pad materials, the drilled and slotted for the average driver is no longer needed and can lead to issues, like short pad life and cracked rotors. Unless you just like replacing rotors do not use ceramic pads. They force all of the heat generated into the rotors. You'll have a lot of warped rotors especially if you drive hard. Semi-metallic is best for street use. At one time, the Wagner Thermo-Quiet were the forum favorite for pads.
Typical drilled rotor

Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dònt know if I would call that a typical drilled rotor. I've had them before and drove the car very hard and never once had a crack. I have friends that road race and auto cross and have seen plenty that never cracked.

But for the average person it isn't needed. If you feel the need to upgrade slotted will almost always work just fine for the road. They won't do a whole lot for the average daily driver, especially at the cost of a good set.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'll just go with standard (non-drilled / non-slotted) rotors. My rear rotors are fine, so I'll just save the money and replace the fronts.