Backup camera connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup camera connection

Does any one know where I can find the wire I need to activate my backup camera funtion on my stereo without having to run a wire all the way to the taillight?05 Screw.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by bobfawcett
Does any one know where I can find the wire I need to activate my backup camera funtion on my stereo without having to run a wire all the way to the taillight?05 Screw.
Just curious, how can you keep from running a wire all the way to the tail? That's where I would expect the camera to mount. I ran the RCA from the camera to the monitor, and just taped the power for the camera at the rear back up lights. If my backup lights are not on, the camera does not work, but then, I don't need it...
Chris

Old 03-20-2006, 07:19 PM
The power I'm looking for is actualy for the HU not the camera.The camera operates off of the stereo but the stereo needs a signal to tell it to switch to backup camera mode.So you see I need power up front at the HU not at the camera.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bob,

What is it looking for a signal ? I have no clue, don't have a BU camera.

I would guess the reverse light circuit, but I could be wrong about that.

Steve

Old 03-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Yes I need the reverse light circuit.Positive signal.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Can anyone help me find this wire without tearing my truck apart?

Old 03-20-2006, 08:56 PM
All the ones I have used just detect the signal from the Camera and light up.

On the 2004 it is a Black and Pink wire. Same color at the light end so you could double check it. It goes down the wiring channel under the door sill cover.
It comes out of the 'central junction block' travel to the lights. Find the Bk/Pk wire just under the front of the passenger side door sill. That is inches from the fuse box. You can track it to the fuse box by looking at the fuse for the reverse lights. Anyway, that wire gets hot when you put the selector in reverse.

I would not want to tap it 'upstream' as the signal diverges to the automatic rear mirror, and the back up sensors if equipped. You want to catch it after those, on the run to the back. Otherwise you might have a problem with your auto dim mirror or your reverse sensors.
No biggie. Be careful removing the kick cover that surrounds the fuse box. There is a big dowel that goes forward from the kick panel into the body, it likes to break.

Remove the door sill cover completely before doing this. If you find the right wire, you may not have to remove any thing else.
Chris

Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes I have the backup sensors and I thought maybe I could get my signal from there but with no luck.I'm sure they wired the 04-06 the same so I will try your way tomorrow.Thank you.Bob

Old 03-21-2006, 04:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bob,

Sorry Tech Support was "unavailable" tonight. Good news, I am not hammered like the start of the other thread

2 things :

1. The Black w/ Pink Stripe is from the trail tow reversing relay ( Factory Tow package ) and is fed via the relay and Fuse #F10. This does not have the Electrochromatic inside mirror or parking aid module on it. This is incorectly marked as Black w/ a Light Green stripe in the Factory Instructions supplied with the Tow package, on page 05 ?? Do you have the Factory Tow package ?

2. The output from the DTR is the Dark Green w/ Yellow Stripe. This feeds the +12V side of the Trailer Tow Relay ( noted in #1 ), and this also feeds the Electrochromatic inside mirror and parking aid module via Splice S297. Odd part, the color code of this circuit changes at connector C405 to BK-PK. If the truck does not have the factory tow package, I don't know if the BK-PK by the CJB would work ( or even be installed ). I don't know what the singal adds to the load, I know 2, 1 AMP BU LED lamps will not burn at full brightness connected to this circuit, so maybe the load ofr the trigger is enough that it would not trigger the display ?? That is a total SWAG, I have no real clue.

The reversing lamps in the 2005 EVTM 93-1:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-153330.jpg

The location of C270E that ChrisAdams made note of above :
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-153334.jpg

The pin out of C270E :
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-153333.jpg

If you want to try to get at circuit #140 ( +12v output of the Trail Tow Relay Reversing Lamp ) on the driver's side by the parking brake / hood latch, it is in connector C238:

The circuit in pin 13 :

I have no idea why Ford changed the color of the BU lamps between the CJB and the lamp itself, but as luck would have it, the color is the same for the output of the tow circuit and the BU lamp.

Give it a try, and see what you come up with.

Good Lcuk

Steve

Last edited by SSCULLY; 03-21-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:07 AM
I do have the factory tow.As a matter of fact the main reason I bought the truck was for it's towing capabilities because I do alot of it.I love my truck. These are the instructions I have been looking for!Once again Steve comes through!Thanks Steve!

Last edited by bobfawcett; 03-21-2006 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Either of these will allow you to power your camera, monitor, and/or trigger your head unit; all from the reverse lamp wires at your tail light.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:12 AM
From Haynes Manual

Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Quick Reply: Backup camera connection