sirius to XM

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sirius to XM

I was told by a friend that I should be able to change the Sirius decoder that came factory on my 07 truck for an XM decoder. I have seen some kits to add it to the AUX button, but they say it won't work on trucks already equipped with sat. radio already. I have not yet come across anything that uses the factory antenna like he thought.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
I believe you can just get the XM upgrade for 6.99/mo. that way you have the best of both.

I've had Sirius for 5 years and I hope they can stay afloat, I would really hate to go back to terrestrial radio.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by phatbak
I would really hate to go back to terrestrial radio.
^ 2nd that 10 fold!
The few times I've heard "free" radio in the 4 years I've had Sirius, really shows me how much it SUCKS! I'd hate that to be my only choice again.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes, there are kits that replace the Sirius decoder. The kit is called XM Direct. It basically replaces the Sirius box and does an in-line replacement of the Sirius connections. All controls are then done through the stock headunit, the same as was done for Sirius.

The option for an additional fee is to have the Best of XM added to your Sirius plan. Depending on the XM channels you're looking for, this may work. Many of the music channels are now shared between the two, with only the sports and talk packages being different.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I like my satellite radio well enough but I am not all that interested in paying more. I currently have two units on the same account for the discounted rate. Going with Sirius would mean two full price accounts. I only listen to about 4 channels most of the time, so adding more of what I won't listen to does not make much sense.

Adding the XM box is more to my liking. Do you have the part number for the XM direct? I have seen them for Sony, Pioneer, etc... but not for stock ford applications.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 AM
I have Sirius in my car through the head unit and XM in my truck through an external unit (SkyFi2). The truck has a Sirius decoder but the reason I keep XM in it is that the head unit SUCKS! The head unit takes forever to change stations and that is all it does. The SkyFi allows me to see several channels at once, all while still listening the the station that is currently selected. With the head unit I have to move one station, wait for it to play and then move to the next. Repeat until I find a song I like. Also, it records 30 mins of the current station so that I can go back to songs and play them again if I wish. I just bought a PIE adaptor and the XM unit sounds _perfect_ now.

Quick Reply: sirius to XM