Coverting from Sirius to XM thru factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Coverting from Sirius to XM thru factory radio?

I have a 2007 F150. As we all know Fords come with Sirius. I'd like to switch to XM, but use my factory radio. I have herd that there are converter boxes out there whereby you essentially remove the Sirius box and replace it with an XM box. There are some minor adjustments, but I was told it has been done and relatively easy.

Any insight and help is welcomed.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I think this is what you're looking for:
http://www.ancoauto.com/oscommerce/p...roducts_id=149

As soon as my 6-month Sirius intro subscription is up, I think I'm going that route.

If you get it, report back on how it works.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdogy
I think this is what you're looking for:
http://www.ancoauto.com/oscommerce/p...roducts_id=149

As soon as my 6-month Sirius intro subscription is up, I think I'm going that route.

If you get it, report back on how it works.

Unless there was a compelling reason, I'd hold off until the merger is either finalized or rejected by the FCC.

If it goes through, you'll be able to get portions of the other service with your existing equipment until fully inter-operable sets become available.

A lot depends on your motivation, something you didn't reveal.

Steve

Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
I did go ahead and get the XM radio from that website. The install was very easy -- took about thirty minutes. Just remove the radio, remove the Sirius unit (to provide enough space), disconnect a couple plugs and add a wire harness inline with the factory one, and it was done. The factory satellite antenna plugged into the new unit (after shaving the unit's connector just a little bit).

Once installed, everything cranked up just fine. BTW, the stock auxillary plug in the tray still works. As does the HD radio and iPod conenctor.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by rangerdogy
I did go ahead and get the XM radio from that website. The install was very easy -- took about thirty minutes. Just remove the radio, remove the Sirius unit (to provide enough space), disconnect a couple plugs and add a wire harness inline with the factory one, and it was done. The factory satellite antenna plugged into the new unit (after shaving the unit's connector just a little bit).

Once installed, everything cranked up just fine. BTW, the stock auxillary plug in the tray still works. As does the HD radio and iPod conenctor.
I tried the link and the product is no longer there. Can you tell me the name and model of the XM Radio you bought?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure who else sells it, but here is the product on the XM page:
http://www.xmradio.com/xm-direct/index.xmc

It needs the XM direct unit and then the Ford-specific in-between unit and wiring harness. I'm sure a web search will find someone selling them -- looks like eBay has some people selling them also.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Unless there was a compelling reason, I'd hold off until the merger is either finalized or rejected by the FCC.

If it goes through, you'll be able to get portions of the other service with your existing equipment until fully inter-operable sets become available.
Just as a note, this statement is 100% incorrect. Current radios _cannot_ pick up signals from the other companies satellites. If the companies are allowed to merge they will come out with new radios that are capable of this but old radios will not work this way.

(but the statement above says to wait... you'd "wait" in order to pick up a new radio... so the statement to wait seems to mean, wait and get one of the new radios)

Quick Reply: Coverting from Sirius to XM thru factory radio?