Why did I get blacklisted!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did I get blacklisted!!!

I have been a member here for a few years. I was known as Daleford. I had not been on the site for a while and when I returned I was asked to pick a new password. A few days later I was asked again to do the same. Each time I was allowed back on and could read and post as usual. The third time it happened I was not allowed back on and the message said "the administrator has banned your IP address!!"
What did I do ??
I couldn't even view the posts anymore or read postings to a thread I had started. I was allowed to send a message to the administrator about this but as of yet.....no reply.
The only way I could read the postings or add this message was to go to a friends computer this evening and create a new membership. I am not even sure when I return home later that I can sign in as this new member!
Does anyone know what is going on??
My e-mail if you rather is dalepaynter@yahoo.ca

Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All that for nothing !!
I go back to my own computer and I am able to log in under my old username !!!
I'd still be interested in knowing why all that happened!!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRICK or treat !

Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There was likely some 'poor' activitity from the IP address (or one very similar to it) on the other machine; hence the IP ban.

On occasion, it's necessary for an IP ban to encompass a large subset of addresses and, unfortunately, snub someone who may have not been meant for 'snubbing'. For example, AOL IP addresses, when banned, may present a problem for multiple users that weren't problematic.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario for us on this end (although, I can't set IP bans).

-RP-

Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
I have a crapload of IP bans on my forums, but I always try to research them to make sure I'm not banning any members in good standing. Sometimes it's unavoidable though.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Daleford here, AKA Mumford, AKA Alford...................
Well, it happened again.
I sent a letter to the admin and I was back on. Then I was banished again and sent a STRONGER letter begging for a response, which I never got.
Now I am back on again. If it happens again I will be saying bye bye. I can't afford the time to travel to another computer and create a new username, etc!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I assure you that this is on YOUR end Dale.

You're likely working with DYNAMIC IP addresses and sometimes you're getting an IP assigned that is included within a global ban here at the site. Sometimes you're not.

It's really that simple.

While I'm sorry that you're having some problems, the better option is examine the IP address that you're getting when you log in (I'm guessing you're dialup? - slipstreamdata?). If it's looking like you're having trouble getting past the front door, log out of your ISP and log back in. You'll likely get a new IP address on your log in and may make it in.

Beyond that - I'm not going to be much help because I do not have access to global bans here on the site.

Quick Reply: Why did I get blacklisted!!!