Chat Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chat Question

I'm getting the message that I need Java-Enabled browser to chat, and it's telling me I need to download Netscape... are IE's Java capabilities not compatible for doing what the chat room needs? I used to use chat before I upgraded to Windows XP, but I don't recall using Netscape to do so....

-Joe

Old 03-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use MSNexplorer and Internet explorer. I don't go to chat as much as I used to, but mine still lets me whenever I want to. No need for Netscape.

Old 03-03-2003, 01:31 PM
No beans...

I cranked all my security settings to low, and I still get this message where the sign-in would go:

Sorry, but you are not running a Java Compatible Web browser. To take advantage of the latest Web software, download Netscape now.

Any ideas?

-Joe

Old 03-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What version of IE are you running?

Old 03-03-2003, 01:52 PM
IE 6.0 with all security and cookie settings turned down to low.

I wonder if there could be a JavaScript plug-in of some sort I'm missing? If so, how would I check it and where would I go to find it?

-Joe

Old 03-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Moderator &

I'm stumped. I don't have any idea Joe. Good luck.

RP

Old 03-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Just a guess but have you set Java enabled in your browser.
I have a dutch version of IE but I think you have to check this out.

Menu; Extra/Internet Options/Advanced

or something similar.

It is the fifth menu from the left then go to the bottom click Options and choose probably Advanced.

Check the JAVA settings.

Old 03-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Moderator &

Good idea F150Europe...

In the US version, it's under the TOOLS menu.

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab

RP

Old 03-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Hi!

Hey GI Joe! LONG time no chat! How are you doing? Ever get all the mud out from under your truck from that Sandusky trip? I think I still have some good old OH clay under mine & I crawled under it with a scrub brush to clean it!
If you can get into chat stop in around 9PM any nite of the week - I get there about that time. Assuming you're still speaking to me I will tell you about an off road trip I am planning for this summer! Maybe you can make it too! I'd love to see you again & reminesce about that trip - I'd love to go back there if I could only find that place again! LOL! Bye for now!

Old 03-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Well, after $35 and an hour and a half on the phone with Microsoft Tech support, Clay (the extremely knowledgable tech support guru who has had Java issues himself) finally found out that Microsoft no longer supports anything Java. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Kaput-ski! Apparently sometime last year, Sun Microsystems sued Microsoft over something. As a part of the settlement, MS has begun divesting itself of all things Java.

For Java developers, here's a bit of info:

http://www.microsoft.com/java/developerFAQ.htm

So, what happened? Apparently I got caught in the crossfire. See, when I upgraded to WinXP back in november, I had to download and install the WinXP Service Pack 1. This service pack included the plug-ins for Microsoft VM and JavaScript. Apparently, starting in February this year, These plug-ins are not a part of the WinXP Service Pack 1a. Therefore, when my system crashed a few weeks ago and I reinstalled the OS and downloaded the service pack, I got SP1a instead of SP1. That's why I haven't been able to get back in the chat room since. Because MS is no longer working with (or supporting) Java, I suspect that I am not the last person that will run into this problem, just the first to discover it.

So, what's the solution? I went to the JavaSun web site at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html and downloaded the English version of the Java2 plug-in and installed it on my system. (If you have a hard time with the link, go to download.com and search for "java XP" and it will link you to the JavaSun site. It is almost 8 Mb, so plan on taking your time from a dial-up.

How's it work? well, good news and bad news... the good news is that with most Java-based chat rooms, everything seems to work... it takes a bit longer to load the room, but it works eventually. However, with any chat rooms that use Chatspace, I still get redirected to the Page Not Found site... still stumped.... Still haven't been able to work my way around that one.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Chat Question