Pre-1997 Models

Have any of you.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have any of you.....

had your tailgate buckle when you flexed your truck. As you can see in these pictures it is terrible, but as soon as I become unflexed it returns to normal with no visible signs it ever happened. I'm almost afraid to flex it now for fear of buckling the sheetmetal permanatly.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3790&anum=2627

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3791&anum=2627

BTW, check out my album. There are lots of new pics on there.

Old 10-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Damn, I have really never been in a position like that

Old 10-08-2002, 11:19 PM
I have never been behind my truck in a position like that.

Old 10-09-2002, 08:29 PM
My truck twists but my gate has the big stainless (looking) panel right in the middle. I'm always driving it so I to have never been back there to look.

...wait til you put nerf bars on, them things will bang all day My drive way is like a creek bed and the nerf bars bang due to the flexing, not bouncing.

It flexes length wise too. My kids are over 100lbs each now and the bed use to rub on the cab whenever they where in the back seat. It took me a year to figure out what the hell that noise was...then i noticed the front of the bed was bowed forward due to lumber being thrown against it. It wouldn't squeek unless they where in the truck, thats when the bed would rub on the cab( take a look, most have a plastic bumper thingy on the bed wall). So I took a long pry bar and bent the front of the bed back to where its suppose to be. No more squeeky squeeky erree eree when going over bumps. Yeaaaaay

Old 10-09-2002, 08:38 PM
I had never been behind my truck when flexed up either but while spotting for me my friend spotted it. I don't know I guess it will stay bent one of these days and **** me off then I'll just have to get mad and show it how to really wheel.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:01 PM
What about wheelin with the gate down? Or get one of those stainless panels other ford gates have on them. For some reason your flex seems excessive. Have you checked for a cross member break? Or crossmember bolt break?

I thought about stiffening my frame up, and removing the nerf bars too Maybe someday.

Old 10-10-2002, 07:00 PM
I've checked under my truck and nothing seems to be broken or bent to be causing that much frame flex. I'm just assuming the heavy axles and tires are causing it. I'm getting some quick disconnects for the sway bar and I'm going to see if that will help. As far as leaving the tailgate down, I'm just afraid it will spring the bedsides and not allow the tailgate to close after that. I dunno, if I hadn't spotted it I would probably still be wheeling just like before and not worrying about it.

Quick Reply: Have any of you.....