Pre-1997 Models

GREAT deal on a '93!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GREAT deal on a '93!!!

I just got a '93 F150 XL from my Uncle, for only $500!!! Yeah, it was a "relative" deal, but zowie! It has always been well cred for mechanically, if not cosmetically, but that's nothing a little rubbing compound, hours and hours, and a very sore shoulder can't fix. It has 112k on it, all highway. After a few rounds of Simple Green under the hood, the engine looks brand new.

I have replaced the serpentine belt, PCV valve, oil/filter, air and breather filters, spark plugs and the fuel filter. Any ideas on what else I should look at? There is a slight fuel smell after driving it a while, I may pull the injectors out and clean or replace them, as I feel this may be a small leak at the seals. Any other ideas on this?

This truck is in FANTASTIC running and general shape, boy did I luck out! I sold my '86 4Runner in order to buy this thing, and feel I now have a truck that should last me for another ten years if I do my part, and I will. This allows me to continue babying my '00 XL, it isn't even at 20k yet, I never drive it, just polish and talk sweet to it!

Just wanted to brag up on my purchase, and see if any of y'all could think of anything else I may want to look at replacing or servicing on the '93. It runs every bit as smooth as my '00!!!

Old 10-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the site and congrats on the "GREAT" deal on that truck....you know that could easily sell for 10 times that!.

Old 10-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Welcome, you might want to changw your distributor cap and rotor, and sparkplug wires. Maybe a new coil. Good luck. The high performance version of all this stuff would run you around $130. Good luck. If you want any more info about this stuff, just ask. I just got Accel 300+ Race Wires, Accel Performance Coil, Accel Distributor Cap 7 Rotor, and Denso ITF-16 Plugs.

Old 10-08-2002, 08:31 PM
As for the fuel smell, check your tanks closely for potential leaks. The design holds road salt and sand.

If you find a leak, let us know. A couple of us have already played the replace the tank game.....

Other than that, check the obvious wear and tune items, and go from there. There are plenty of easy mods and goodies for the early trucks, and they are even more plentiful if you happen to have a 302 powered truck.

The "Pre-97" section may be small, but from what I have seen there is a solid knowledge base here.

Old 10-08-2002, 08:34 PM
congrats, but tell us more, what motor, trans, is it 4x4, etc.... trucks are so damn expensive, it's good to see some people are getting good deals.. as far as the 00' sell that sumbitch, if you don't drive it no sense in having it... in my opinion (which isn't worth much by the way). that way you can by yourself some new toys... ha ha ha!!! good luck with your good deal!~

Old 10-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Hey Beatie
Gots a truck just like yours
Admire your taste

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...TOKEN=26531219

Old 10-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. As for the details, from what I know this is just the "regular" entry level short bed six banger. How do I tell if it's a 302? As for the '00, my wonderful wife bought it for me (she's watching me type this) with cash money, so I can't rightly sell it. Plus, and I guess this comes form my younger years of driving pieces of sh*t, I can't STAND not having a backup vehicle. Now, I have the "beater", which I'll care for well, and as a "backup gun", my pristine '00, which has less than 20k on it. Plus, the wife drives an Exploder, which isn't driven much as she is a stay-at-homeschooling-engineer. The Exploder pretty much just tows our camper. The Toyota I sold was the anomoly, it's the only thing that wasn't a Ford we've ever owned. I did spread the love when I sold it, though, I let it go for only $1,500, I coulda gotten 1k more I'm sure. So, I got a GREAT deal, but someone else got a pretty good one, too!!! Stay tuned fer me to be askin' some questions on my '93.

Trending Topics

Old 10-09-2002, 12:40 AM
UncBob, they are twins LOL. My friends at school with old Chevys say it looks like a little toy. All I say is lets run and see who really has the toy LOL Your truck is in nice condtion. In New Orleans, the only other truck I have seen with a paintjob like ours have is a F-250.

Old 10-09-2002, 12:41 AM
The_Camp_Ninja, to tell is you have a 302, pop the hood and look at the intake manifold, and if it say 5.0, you have a 302, 5.8 +351. Look at the diagram in front of the radiator next to the picture of how the belt goes on, and count the cylinders in the firing order. Good Luck

Old 10-09-2002, 09:05 PM
The 93s are the best!

Quick Reply: GREAT deal on a '93!!!