Pre-1997 Models

Throttle Body & MAS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body & MAS

I can get a hold of a 01 Lightning Throttle Body and a 90mm Lightning MAS along with the connecting boot. I know I will have to get that spacer made for the throttle body, but that wont be a problem. I am just trying to decide that if I do this, will I feel an improvement, will it drop my 1/4 miles times at all. I will also port the stock intake manifold. And I will get my chip reburned to compensate for this. I am just wondering if it will be a good bang for the buck kind of mod.

or

If I get a Gen 1 Lightning upper intake manifold, will it bolt up to my lower manifold? And would it be hard to get everything to work? I can get a hold of the throttle body and intake, but will it be a paint to get like the throttle cable and all that good stuff to work??

Old 09-24-2002, 02:02 AM
check out the recent thread on MAF conversions here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=90577

And this site from bjoern in that thread:

http://www.brembs.net/cars/maf_conversion/

The Gen 1 lightnings used a GT40 intake, which has rounded tubes and is completely different. It will not bolt to your existing lower. Also, the GT40 lower is different on the 302 compared to the Gen1 351w. Many explorers with the 302 came with a GT40 intake that would work. You need a 302 lower and a 302/351 upper intake. The flow would be significantly better than stock and would through the computer for a loop. I dont know if programming it for this setup is possible or not on S.D. Ask Mike. If you did a MAF conversion it would automatically account for it of course.

Your throttle cable shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Old 09-24-2002, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought that the lower was different.
I dont need ot do the whole conversion. My truck is already MAS equipped. I just know the Lightning one is bigger, and the throttle body is bigger. I am just wonderinf if I upgrade these, if I will notice any more power than what I have now.

Old 09-24-2002, 12:21 PM
If you want to change upper manifolds and keep your lower (the stock truck lower is a VERY good unit) check out the Edelbrock upper and oversize T/B. It's designed for truck use meaning more midrange for a heavier vehicle. If you want top end power, I'm pretty sure the Holley upper bolts directly to the truck lower.

Old 09-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by StrangeRanger
If you want to change upper manifolds and keep your lower (the stock truck lower is a VERY good unit) check out the Edelbrock upper and oversize T/B. It's designed for truck use meaning more midrange for a heavier vehicle. If you want top end power, I'm pretty sure the Holley upper bolts directly to the truck lower.
I'm not trying to be rude but you don't know what your talking about. The Edelbrock unit will NOT bolt upto the stock truck 5.0 lower. The STOCK truck 5.0 lower is NOT a good intake for more HP. The ports are too small. Its even smaller than a Felpro 1250 intake gasket (ala mustang 5.0). The ports are huge and neck down VERY small to get big velocity at low speed (torque!). The stock truck 5.0 lower is a very good STARTING point if you plan to go whole hog horsepower wise and bolt a Holley SystemMax II upper to it. NOT recommended for a truck but for a Mustang mind you since you wanna shift a Holley II upper at 6200 - 6500rpm on a 302. Do you really want to spin your truck that high? I think not.

I don't think that hacking the front of a truck EFI intake is the thing to do since you still have the lower problem of very small ports. You can't port the lower because now you have massive ports that don't neck down enough given the massive upper ports on the stock truck upper (no velocity). Why reinvent the wheel and hack-up a truck upper intake? I'm not bashing creativity but what I've seen here with folks doing this isn't better. It even goes so far as to reengineer your idle air bypass? Is this going to cost less?

See my older posts about my conversion to the Edelbrock Performer EFI intake. I did this using a Mustang version which is harder than the dedicated truck version but performance wise nearly identical I'm sure. I spent less $ but more time. I bought the intake for like $150 and had a 70mm Accufab throttle body off a Mustang already. Again I'm not bashing people customizing and doing their own thing but this seems awful.y painful for not a lot of gain. In my case I thought the results weren't all that spectacular but it turns out I was running an incorrect MAM. The Pro-M meter I bought was SUPPOSED to be for 24lb injectors in a Naturaly Aspirated appliation. It turns out it was for 42lb injectors in a supercharged application. At idle I was at 17.0:1 A/F ratio, part throttle was 15:1 and WOT was 10.2:1.. EXTREMELY lean down low and EXTREMEMLY rich up top. Now thats its 13.0:1 at WOT the thing flys. Just my .05.

Jerry

Old 08-19-2004, 01:31 AM
Where can you get the 351 lower gt40 besides off a gen 1 lightning? I have been looking and can find plenty for 5.0's but not for the 351.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body & MAS