Pre-1997 Models

Need a quiet replacement muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a quiet replacement muffler

My stock trash can is rotting out, and will need to be replaced soon. I already have one loud vehicle (my Mustang), so I want to keep the truck bone-stock quiet.

What would be a good replacement muffler for it - it's a '90 with the 5.0, btw. I still have both cats in place, and will keep them. Would the Dynomax super turbo be quiet? Someone on another board recommended a Thrush turbo muffler..... I could get a replacement from Autozone, but I imagine that would be just as restrictive as the stock piece of junk. I'd like a little less restriction if possible.

Gimme some options!

Thanks guys!

Wade

Old 08-21-2002, 03:53 PM
Cool

Wade, ever think about dual tail pipes ???? If you have then a cheap way to do it, would be to replace that muffler with the 351 with dual outlets (I think 2.5"), then the tail pipes and tips. I did this on my '87 that had the 4.9L I6, didn't change the sound much but looked good for fairly cheap. Just a thought. The 351 mufflers whether dual tails or not would give a bit less restriction and probably a bit of nicer sound but sure on the sound though. I have a Raven Z55 and it sounds nice.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 08-21-2002, 06:06 PM
I had the same problems a little over a year ago. My cats were shot after the stuffing in one clogged the second. The muffler itself had holes so it was loud and severely restricted at the same time.

I thought to myself what did I really want in a replacement. I want to be as quiet and freeflowing as possible, two traits that seemed mutually exclusive.

I searched the web using those 2 criteria and ended up on a site that described how a company called Spintech made just such a claim. After some more research they sounded to me like they were what I was looking for.

Well, a year later and they seem to just keep sounding better. My performance is up and they purr when I want them to and growl when I want as well. They'll last the life of your truck and the next truck too.

Check out this link.
http://www.off-road.com/ford/flashb...ntech/spin.html

They were a little expensive but you'll never buy another muffler.

Old 08-21-2002, 06:09 PM
all the spintechs ive ever heard are pretty loud, but they do flow great

Old 08-21-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by IzzyEddy
Wade, ever think about dual tail pipes ???? If you have then a cheap way to do it, would be to replace that muffler with the 351 with dual outlets (I think 2.5"), then the tail pipes and tips. I did this on my '87 that had the 4.9L I6, didn't change the sound much but looked good for fairly cheap. Just a thought. The 351 mufflers whether dual tails or not would give a bit less restriction and probably a bit of nicer sound but sure on the sound though. I have a Raven Z55 and it sounds nice.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean
Dean, are you talking about using an o.e. type replacement muff. for a truck with a 351 in it? I'm guessing those flow a little better than what came originally on mine. I hadn't even thought of that...

I have thought of duals; exactly what you mentioned, as a matter of fact - a SI/DO muffler. Extra cost would be the only thing to keep me from doing that. My Stang eats up all of my mod-money!

Thanks for the ideas guys, and keep 'em coming.

Wade

Old 08-21-2002, 08:29 PM
I put an FM 70 on my 300. It's quiet enough at cruise, but not when I open it up. All the other performance mufflers I've heard are louder still.

Quick Reply: Need a quiet replacement muffler