Pre-1997 Models

Truck driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck driving me nuts.

Well I just start a new thread about this.
I've been having problems with my truck, it's been wanting to overheat when I'm driving, I've replaced everything.
Replaced: Water pump, T-sat(s), fan clutch, belt, hoses, radiator, and cap, and had the timing checked.
I don't think it could be my gauge or a bad sending unit because as the gauge gets hotter my truck begins to run poopier, I doubt it would be a head gasket leak because my radi fluid has stayed the same level, green as it was when I put it in, oil looks fine and I havn't seen any smoke come out of the exhaust.
I was suggested it could be a ignition coil going bad, anyone know how I could check this?

Any suggestions would be great!

Old 08-01-2002, 11:47 AM
are you sure its not leaking out of anywhere? youve replaced just about everything so i really dont know what could be the preoblem. are you sure you didint put the T-stat in backwards?

Last edited by Donate54; 08-01-2002 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:01 PM
ya...I checked this last t-stat once and replaced it 3 times. This thing is not leaking anywhere.... I'm going nuts. It doesn't get hot right away... it does if I'm in town with traffic signals or pushing it hard in town or on the freeway. And I can just forget about using the A/C.

Last edited by SPROCKET_X; 08-01-2002 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin,
Have you removed the t-stat and kept it out? Does this help?

Old 08-01-2002, 04:16 PM
I'll try it when I get home....I was thinking of trying a 180 t-stat...I'm going to have autozone check for codes when I get off work.

Old 08-01-2002, 07:01 PM
ok..I think I know what it is....my A/C condenser...it's absolutly full with pebbles, bugs and road crap...you can't even see through it, it sits right infront of the radiator so is probly restricting the air flow. Anyone know if this is as easy as putting in a radiator or should I have a professional do it?

Old 08-01-2002, 08:20 PM
air cond

i just cleaned mine the other day , it took awhile , pull your grill and take a fine wire brush and comb it up and down, dont put alot of pressure on it , itook a small thin screwdriver and pick and strieghtened the fins then took the watter hose and washed it out , it worked real good . it takes awhile to do but it works good luck! mike

Old 08-01-2002, 09:34 PM
Is your cooling fan kicking on when it should? Does it automatically come on with the A/C? Have you tried driving without the A/C to see if it still overheats?

Just some thoughts,
-Jon

Old 08-01-2002, 10:45 PM
Ya..the fan kicks on when it should...I just put a new fan clutch on it and I can hear it now, as far as the A/C goes I've probly only turned it on 4 times this year at the most...I hardly ever use it....but the condenser is absolutely packed with road grime...I've never even thought about cleaning it the 2 years that I've had it...I'm in the dirt a lot and I see a lot of pebbles/rocks that got kicked up. When I do use my A/C it works great...girlfriend usualy makes me turn it off after a minute.

Old 08-02-2002, 06:07 AM
Justin, next time you come to the track, remind me to slap you. I thought you said you cleaned it out a few weeks ago? If the air can't get to the radiator, it's not going to cool it very well. Also, what is your coolant mixture? You shouldn't have any more than 10% coolant/90% water this time of year.

Take care,
~Chris

Old 08-02-2002, 11:07 AM
Did you ever install pullies?

Old 08-02-2002, 12:58 PM
Top the the morning!
No pullies....havn't found a company that makes them....I just got emailed back from March stating it wouldn't be a great idea.

Anyways about the slappping me.....I need it! I'm such an idiot.....I went down and bought some wire brushes to clean BBQ grills and scrubbed the hell out of it and all is well now.

Hey, I'm still young and aloud to make mistakes like that

Old 08-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by SPROCKET_X
Top the the morning!
No pullies....havn't found a company that makes them....I just got emailed back from March stating it wouldn't be a great idea.

Anyways about the slappping me.....I need it! I'm such an idiot.....I went down and bought some wire brushes to clean BBQ grills and scrubbed the hell out of it and all is well now.

Hey, I'm still young and aloud to make mistakes like that
did March tell you why they wouldnt be a great idea? im just curious because i have a friend with a straight six who is also looking for underdrive pulleys, but had no luck.

Old 08-02-2002, 04:54 PM
I sent them an email a few weeks ago and got a reply the other day and I asked if they had a set of underdrive pulleys and if they didn't if they knew a 5.0 set would be compatable.

They replied with they don't have a undrive pulley set for the 4.9L and yes some of the pulleys would be compatable from the 5.0 but it wouldn't be a good idea.

they didn't state why nor did I bother to reply back with the question, I'm still looking around though I let everyone know if I find some, if your friend finds them let us know too please.

Old 08-02-2002, 04:55 PM
BTW what are some good company's I should harras about some pulleys..other then March.

Quick Reply: Truck driving me nuts.