Pre-1997 Models

Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Cluster

As some of yall may know, my speedometer bounces around and my gas tanks dont register. I have tested everything and come to the conclusion I need a new cluster. Where can I find a new cluster cheep. I found them on www.fordpartsonline.com, but is there any other places. Also I dont have a tach on my current cluster, but ca nI buy one with the tach and will it work?

Old 05-14-2002, 08:58 PM
I think that will be a dealer only item.

btw, your next post makes you a senior member. Drinks are on Beastie!

Old 05-14-2002, 09:00 PM
You'll have to endure the political process of getting the odometer correct (dealer install only)

Old 05-14-2002, 09:04 PM
I'm prety sure you can just buy a cluster with a tach and everything should just plug right it...I think the wiring is all there.

Old 05-15-2002, 12:45 AM
www.fordpartsonline is a dealer. It's a division of Atascadero Ford, about 90 minutes north of me. They are the best price I have found for just about everything, and they have a huge supply of parts that other dealers no longer carry. I had to go to them to get my e-brake cable when it broke because none of the local dealers carried them anymore.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 05-15-2002, 12:51 AM
PKRWUD if I buy the cluster with the tach will it work with no mods, i mean will it plug right into the existing spots.

Old 05-15-2002, 01:10 AM
I have never done that myself, so I can't be 100% sure, BUT, I have heard several times that the wiring harness was the same, and that installing one w/ a tach would work. I can't personally back that up, but if it were me, I'd try it.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 05-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Reguarding his odometer. Whos gonna verify his milage? The odom is digital and has to be preset to Beasties current mileage if he gets a new one, right? I've done this tons on Saturns and they wont let us have a guage cluster unless the manager verifies the odometer mileage. Who's gonna believe Beastie when he says theres only 3147 miles on his truck?
just thinkin out loud

Old 05-16-2002, 12:12 AM
im sure that the cluster itself doesnt store the mileage its probably just an lcd screen that displays, the computer probably stores it somewhere

i could be wrong though

Old 05-16-2002, 10:21 PM
You could be right. Saturn's older style clocked it in the guage, the newer styles clock them in the body control module(body computer)

But, some of the older styles had digital also, gauge clocked. Anywho, let us know what happens when you get around to it, I gotta know now

Old 05-17-2002, 12:29 AM
i sure will tell you all know what happens but the reason i think it is stored in the computer is that when I pulled my dash apart, there is a module that says on it Speedometer/ Odometer Control module

Old 05-17-2002, 08:54 PM
The mileage is stored in the PSOM. That's why you are supposed to have it replaced by a dealer who sets the replacement unit to the same mileage as your original unit. If you buy a used one at a boneyard, it'll drop right in with no mods required.

BTW I have a complete cluster w/o tach from my 96 that's for sale, including a PSOM with about 36K miles on it. Interested? Contact me privately.
mgrove@nls.net

Old 05-18-2002, 01:38 AM
PSOM?
So you mean if i buy a cluster from fordpartsonline and install it, my mileage will be set to 0?

Old 05-18-2002, 02:18 PM
PSOM = Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module

Per the factory shop manual:

"NOTE: Federal law requires that the odometer in any replacement speedometer must register the same mileage as that registered on the removed speedometer/odometer. Service replacement speedometer/odometer and odometer modules with mileage preset to actual vehicle mileage are available through Ford Electronic Service Centers. In nearly all instances, the mileage continues to accumulate i the odometer memory even if the odometer does not display mileage. This mileage can usually be verified by electronic service centers. Contact a service center to receive a replacement speedometer/odometer or odometer module with the mileage preset to actual mileage.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster