Pre-1997 Models

front end alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end alignment

I took my truck in to get a front end alignment done. The mechanic told me that it might need more done than just the standard $49.95 alignment. He said something about bushings and casters? What are those and will they need to be replaced. The reason I took it in was because it was pulling to te right REALLY bad. Also, what all is done during a front end alignment?

Thanks,

Blaze

Old 05-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Caster/camber bushings can not always be adjusted to get the right settings; sometimes they have to be changed to different degrees. Most shops charge more if they have to change them.

Old 05-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Your truck has limited alignment capabilities, if the alignment is too far off then he will have to buy an aftermarket alignment kit. Caster is an alignment angle that has to do with steering stability. Caster won't make the truck pull, but it should be adjusted for the vehicle to be aligned properly. The bushings he is talking about might be suspension bushings that are worn and loose that need to be replaced for the alignment to work.

-Jon

Old 05-02-2002, 09:07 PM
I have to also get my truck aligned

Old 05-03-2002, 06:23 PM
The mechanic is talking about the bushings in the upper ball joint. It can be twisted around to get a desired camber/ caster reading. It and toe are the only adjustments on your truck. Camber causes pulling. So do tires that have radial run-out(cords out of place), and caster causes pulls.

Usually the bushings are all corroded and can't be turned/spun. Thats why they want to replace them. I'd go ahead have them do it because its a real pain in the _ss to do it yourself, then align it. Make sure you get a print out of your alignment so they can show you the final measurements. Make sure your toe is near perfect and camber and caster are pretty close.

Old 05-03-2002, 08:40 PM
caster eccentrics

You can get a variety of degrees from 1/2 to 4-5 degrees.
These are special order and may put eccess stress on the upper ball joints.My F-150 is slammed 6 inches in the front and needs to be aligned also.It may be close to 3 degrees to bring it in.The eccentrics are fairly easy to replace.

Quick Reply: front end alignment