Pre-1997 Models

Newbie? '85 150 4x4 operation.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie? '85 150 4x4 operation.

I my be picking up an '85 F150 4x4, and I am wondering about the factory instruction on the operation of the manual hubs and transfer case.
1. Lock hubs.
2. While stopped and in N or P engage 4h or 4l.
3. Select gear and drive.
4. Stop vehical, place in N or P engage 2h.
5. Unlock hubs.
6. Place vehical in reverse and backup to ensure hubs are disengaged???????????

Another question, what is the recomendations on driving around with the hubs locked and not in 4x4?
Thanks for your help.

Old 12-19-2001, 01:16 PM
Smile

Sounds like a little overkill to me. With mine, and most I've driven, just lock in the hubs, and you can shift into 4h or 2h whenever you want, moving or not - in gear or not. To go into 4L or out of it, you will have to stop and put it in N. As for driving with the hubs in, you will get different opinions, but the fact is you will only lose a little gas mileage and potentially wear out your hubs faster by driving in 2h with them in. I do it all the time because I want to be able to shift to 4h if I hit an icy spot (or muddy spot off road). Some people will tell you not to do this because it wears everything out, but if you think about it, why would it be any different than driving with 4h? You aren't powering those front wheels, so it is just coasting through. At any rate, don't stress out about it, these 4x4s are built tough and won't break because of little things like driving with your hubs in, so just enjoy and have fun!!

Old 12-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Is the "shift on the fly" applicable to "both" transfer cases in this series of truck.. I've got the T04.

I was told to punch the clutch, THEN do it, but again, if you're going to engage it at speed, it would all appear the same to me..

I was "impressed" with how LOW 4 low is.. Sheesh, 30 mph in 4th... I guess if an enemy ever invades, my TANK is ready..

AJ RN

Last edited by ajrn; 12-25-2003 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie? '85 150 4x4 operation.