Pre-1997 Models

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy check engine light

My check engine light comes on and stays on for several weeks, unless I intervene, for no real reason. I took it to a dealership and they hooked it up to a computer and the thing told him that my intake manifold gasket was leaking. I talked to my usual mechanic and he said without looking at the truck that the truck could have just spit out bogus code. The weird thing is that if I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it the light stays off until I get to a stop sign and turn left downhill and then it flips on. All other times the truck runs fine. She runs like a top the whole time. I don't think its the gasket, it still may be, but I suspect it might be a sensor instead that is giving me a problem. I have had the F-150 96' for 5 months with no problem and I have owned a 84' of the virtually same setup since 93'. Any help on the subject would be appreciated before I go and spend 5 hundred bucks on a wild goose chase.

96' F-150 2wd I-6 4.9/300 ci XL

Last edited by beverett54; 12-05-2001 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:42 AM
I think your mechanic is correct, bogus CEL. If the truck runs good and all the other gauges read good leave it alone. I have the same problem with my car, BOGUS CEL.

Old 12-05-2001, 10:17 AM
BY owner --> equipment

Ford.

Manual Everything interior. 5 speed trans. bench seats, vinyl floors, XL package

BY owner:

Bedliner, Chrome Tie down rings, Running boards box and cab--Luverne, Luverne Flatbar grill gaurd, Chrome **** stick shift,

Old 12-11-2001, 07:41 PM
I finally got my on and off Check engine light fixed today. I had a cracked vacuum hose, the one from the can to the EGR. It is made of hard plastic and broke in several spots. I replaced it with a new hose and the light has not come on since.

Quick Reply: check engine light