Pre-1997 Models

Signmaster- FIPK, part three

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Signmaster- FIPK, part three

Part 3 of 3

I added a heater duct from a Fairmont to the opening in the bumper (center)...

...and it directs the outside air straight to the filter (center, below the pullies).

Take care,
-Chris

See part one...

Last edited by PKRWUD; 11-16-2001 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:39 PM
Nice Setup!

Looks like you put some thought into that.

I am considring plumbing through the hole with a tube feeding into the bottom of the airbox. I would also leave the factory cool air tube in place. My thought was a small duct peeking around the edge of the grill, and just cutting a hole in the flap for the hose.

I am also considering making a better "Y" on the tube. Vortech makes one, but other than being metal it doesn't look to be engineered any better than the stocker.

Strange, my '95 doesn't have the bumper slots?

As for that Boss 300 watch out you can start something! As you may have guessed I do signs for a living. I got some bronze mettalic vinyl for a job that matched my truck to a tee. The truck is two tone bronze and gold. Anyway, at the time I was doing a lot of stuff for the import guys. As you know many of them live for stickers. So I made some "SHO 302" decals and put them just below my F-150 badges.

I noticed one of the guys checking them out not long after that. He finally bit and asked what that was. I simply asked if he had ever heard of the SHO Taurus, the 6 banger that made 220 HP.

It didn't take long and the word was on the streets. Don't mess with one of those "SHO 302s" unless you have the goods to back it up! LOL!

I never could tell the guy. A couple months later I had taken them off, and he asked why. I just told him I always liked sleepers.....

Old 11-17-2001, 04:44 AM
I did put some thought into that. Unfortunately, materials to do a clean, "pro" job were not available to me, but hey, that Fairmont heater duct! Yeah, I know, but it works. I want to replace the intake ducts and eliminate the ribbed curves, and I want to stay with plastic since metal tends to grab all the heat it can get. As for the slots in the bumper, I believe those bumpers were only available on the Eddie Bauer models. Those are the only trucks I've seen them on. Your plans sound great, too. I just had to get rid of the cool air tube. I had a shop instructor in my CC engines class that told it this way: "Remember when you were a kid in school, and you would go running down the halls as fast as you could? Well, remember how much effort it took to keep from slamming into the wall at the end of the hall, so that you could turn down the next hall? The air entering your engine does the same thing. With every sharp turn that the air has to take, it slows it down", implying that the straightest path was the best. I don't know how critical that is with mostly stock truck engines, but that scenario has always stuck in my head, and was there when I designed the set up I have now. I have tried so many different methods, and this seems to work best for me. Of course, it is a SD system, which needs all the help it can get getting the air in!

I hate to say it, but I have been adicted to stickers and signs since my first STOP sign, found at age 8. License plates, signs, stickers, you name it. When I discovered I could get creative and make my own, it got even better. If I worked for a living making signs, I'd be my best customer! I have silver early 1970's Mustang RAM AIR stickers just below the F150 on each fender, and am asked at least once a month "How rare is the F150 ram air package?". I love it. Since the truck is white over bronze, the silver decals blend well, and aren't "rice-ish". BTW, if you can make some BOSS 300 stickers at work that look like the real thing, I'll buy them from you. I had to cut two with an exacto blade to make mine. Actually, the Sprint car team I crew for is looking to have some vinyl two color decals made for fans back windows. They would measure around 6" x 6" (maybe bigger), and look something like this:

Do you make stuff like that? If so how much would you charge, and in what quantity?

Take care,
-Chris

Quick Reply: Signmaster- FIPK, part three