Pre-1997 Models

93 F150 5.8 won’t connect to scanner. Strange/poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
The volt gauge is wired thru the ig.sw. to a fuse that also powers all the other gauges (F.17 - 10A) and goes to ground G200 (passenger kick panel) which also serves the speedo, cruise, RKE, & anti-theft.

The tach is fed by the same fuse thru a different connector in the cluster, which also serves the warning lamps (ABS, 4x4, LOWRANGE, SRS, CEL) & grounds at G201 (driver's kick). It receives its signal on the W/Pk wire from the coil - not the distributor.

No, the gauges don't wear out.

So it sounds like the fault is inside the cluster. Pull it, take the lens & blackout ring off, pop out the gauges & then reseat them to break up any corrosion on their terminals. Use brown paper or a pink eraser to polish the connector terminals for the film circuit. For more info, click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the Low Fuel Light album.
Hey Steve (or anyone please…)
I’m new here. I’m working on a 93 F150 that used to have a 5.0 and now has a 5.8. I’m having very similar issues as above.

I put a reman motor in my truck recently and I think I botched the job on the ground wire. I was so exhausted I just grounded the wire that goes to the frame and the negative battery terminal to the alternator bracket.
I was trying to troubleshoot a 118 and 998 code it was throwing. Again rushed job…. I bolted the ground to the exhaust manifold and I’m assuming I made the ground connection even worse…. Long story short, after a short drive I lost my amp gauge, tachometer, check engine light, ABS light, and brake warning light on the dash.

I have returned the ground connection to its original location on the bottom bolt that holds the smog pump on. Checked all the fuses and nothing is blown. Also, my scanner now won’t communicate with my EEC….. any advice?

Old 02-08-2023, 10:26 PM
….correction… the ground wire was supposed to be on the bolt going into the block itself holding the transmission lines behind the smog pump….
Did I fry my engine computer??

Old 02-08-2023, 11:45 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You may have if none of the fuses are blown. Open it up and smell and look.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You may have if none of the fuses are blown. Open it up and smell and look.
I pulled it and everything looks brand new. Nothing burnt up, no bad/brown connections…

What’s the next step? Where do I even start to look for a broken wire? I already checked the fusible links by the starter solenoid.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:47 PM

Hi, I’m new here and would really appreciate some help. Here’s some backstory to hopefully help troubleshoot.

I recently replaced my engine with a reman long block. My suspicion is that I messed up the ground wire that is supposed to go from the engine block to the frame/battery. I was exhausted and bolted it to the alternator bracket instead of the block itself.

It ran better than the old motor (after timing it), but still had a rough idle. Got a scanner and got codes 118 and 998.
118 for coolant not reaching temp (it was up to temp on the dash when I ran the test) and 998 for “hard fault”

I suspected the ground wire but didn’t have much time to work on it so I tried moving it to the exhaust manifold. Yes, I know I’m dumb.

after running for a short period, I then lost the tachometer, the amp gauge, and the check engine/brake/abs warning lights turned off on the dash.
It now has terrible, choppy acceleration and is running very rich. Also, now the scanner won’t connect to my engine computer.

The ground wire is now bolted straight to a clean bare metal spot on the block. All fuses and fusible links are in good shape. I pulled my engine computer and opened it up and nothing looks burnt or broken.

Any advice where to go from here?

Quick Reply: 93 F150 5.8 won’t connect to scanner. Strange/poor acceleration