Pre-1997 Models

1993 Lightning Dash Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Lightning Dash Wiring

So I have a semi new to me 93 Lightning. I'm working on restoring it to a more functional condition, which meant making the stereo stop cutting out. Upon opening the dash I found a lot of extra wires. At the very least an after market stereo and some sort of security system were hacked into the wiring. So the dash of my truck is a ball of tape, random connectors, and various plugs. So I'm trying to figure out my best option.

1. Shove it all back into the dash and pray to god nothing ever goes wrong with important things like ignition or lights.

2. Try removing the excess stuff. Just a ton of work. And since it's all wrapped up, I'm not sure what all the connections look like.

3. New wiring harness. Is the interior a separate harness? If so, how bad is it to replace? Hell, can you even get one?

Old 07-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would remove the excess stuff.

You can even go on fleabay and get connectors.

Yes, it's time consuming, but you can even be a "fake engineer" to engineer your way out of this mess with just time and patience.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I would remove the excess stuff.

You can even go on fleabay and get connectors.

Yes, it's time consuming, but you can even be a "fake engineer" to engineer your way out of this mess with just time and patience.
I've got connectors galore. It's just that a lot of wires have been hacked into. In my mind a new harness makes it as clean and close to stock as possible. Either option will take time and patience. I'm just trying to determine what is my best option.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:23 PM

If you can find a stock harness, then that is the best option.

If I know I could, beyond a shadow of a doubt, be able to get a stock interior harness, I wouldn't even hesitate. Yes, time consuming to change it.

However, if I had to put a lot of effort in getting a stock harness, a resounding no. It's like chasing windmills.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Harness impossible to find? I haven't looked to far into it.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:46 PM

Just did a quick Google search, and at appears as if there are wiring harnesses, but some of them seem quite generic.

You'll need to find out exactly what part #(s) your factory one is my suggestion. Then you can go and cross reference.

Quick Reply: 1993 Lightning Dash Wiring