Pre-1997 Models

"Perfect showcase of '80s styling"

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 12:31 AM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Perfect showcase of '80s styling"

That's what Patrick said about this truck, and as someone who was a little kid in the '80s, I tend to agree. That said, I think the black headlight covers are about the stupidest things ever, even if the rest of the truck is cool. How about you? Check out all the pics and info here.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Very popular in the early 90's with the seniors in my school. I was in like 3rd grade, but I had a few older friends that used to take me home from school in their box-body trucks with the roll-bar and the KC lights.

I miss those days.......... life was so simple.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Not sure I'd call it a showcase but it is a nice truck especially if you lose the black lens on the headlights. I have a 91 EB Bronco that looks to be the same Midnight Blue color. The 5.0 in the truck is a major dog. As I recall the HP is something 150 and that's on a good day. My Bronco won't hardly get out of its own way but it's a lot like that turtle and rabbit race. It'll get there no matter what it has to go over. I doubt that seat is original. Looks to be an after market. My uncle had an 88 regular cab short bed, 5.0 with 3.08 gears and the seat was nothing like this one. Obviously the Bronco won't have the same style of seats. It's a clean truck in the article. I've been working on my Bronco for the last couple of years. All of the drive train is new from the radiator to the wheel bearings. Pretty much anything that has to do with the engine running or the truck moving is new. HVAC has been replaced/converted and new heater core. Now, I've got some of the parts to rebuild both doors-locks,window motors, weatherstrip, etc. Just have to find the time to put it in. Then will come a new headliner and I'll either put in new carpet or clean what I have. It's in good shape. Then comes the tailgate rebuild with new window motor, weatherstrip, etc. Then comes paint of the body and the top. Not sure if I want just repaint to the same color combo or do a color change. Even thought about doing a Rhinoliner on it. Ya know, now that I think about it, the owner may have the dark lens on that truck for a good reason. The headlights on my Bronco are murder on the car in front of you. On low beam they'll light up the inside of today's econoboxes like it was noon. I've learned to not pull up too close to another car at night. Nope, no tricky headlight bulbs, just stock. Looks like the owner has taken to polishing the wheels on that rig. I have polished the rear wheels on the Bronco and it came out real nice. Gotta do the fronts yet. Unfortunately mine got bathed at a high school car wash with acid based cleaner which caused the clearcoat to peel off so they are dull. My Bronco which is the same body style has 135,000 one owner miles on it. My youngest girl named it Biff. No clue why. But hopefully by the end of this summer Biff is on the road again looking like brand new. It's been down the Continental Divide twice. I'd like to make it 3. But yeah, the body style of that model of truck has all of the aero package of a brick. They weren't really noted for being a tire burner either. But like all of the oldie trucks, it's because you don't see them anymore that makes them attractive. I have several guys lusting after my 1974 Ford trucks. They want them but I guess I want them more as the price is pretty hefty to get one of them.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:29 PM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's wild what you say about the headlights on your rig, because you're always heading about how the IIHS is complaining about how poor the headlights are on some modern vehicles.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:37 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Anything today is better than the old round sealed beams.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:09 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Johnny, I can only wish the headlights on the 2014 could be half as good as the 91 EB Bronco. The headlights on the 2014 SCrew are, in my opinion, completely unacceptable and dangerous. If you're driving in town, no big deal as there are street lights. Get out in the country where there are no lights and there is zero sidelighting. Go to make a turn in the dark and you have no clue what you're about to run over. I have to carry a spotlight while at the ranch just to go around the tight ranch roads. Don't care to run over or against a mesquite tree/brush. I like my tires and the non scratched to hell paint. Depending on what happens in the next 4 months may put me in a new truck. If not, I'll be moving the front license plate to the side and installing an LED light bar. But yeah, the 2014 F150 SUCKS when it comes to headlights. I did improve them a little with LED bulbs though but still unacceptable. In this case, a round seal beam is a much better headlight.

Quick Reply: "Perfect showcase of '80s styling"