Pre-1997 Models

1988 F150 No Power to Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 F150 No Power to Fuel Pumps

I need help please... I have a 1988 F150 standard truck. The motor is a 300 six cylinder 4.9. It does not have air conditioning, no power windows or locks. It is a basic truck.

This fuel pumps in both tanks are not working.
[list]All fuses under dash are working.

I replaced both relays under the hood with new ones.

I replaced the ignition coil and it is getting a good spark.

I removed all the connections on the solenoid and sanded each connection to remove any rust.

I confirmed the solenoid was working properly with my test meter.

I replaced the tank selection toggle switch on my dash with a new one.

Both fuel tanks are full of gas.

I used a rubber hammer to hit each tank hoping it would caused the fuel pumps to come on and did not work.

When I turn the key to the on position I can hear the high pressure pump cycle on for about 2 seconds but i cannot hear the pumps in either tank come on.

I can spray starting fluid into the throttle body and the truck starts with ease and runs very smooth until the starting fluid is completely used.

The past two mornings I went out to try to start it and when I turned the key to the on position I could hear the fuel pump in the rear tank come on. Yesterday morning the truck ran smooth for about 4 minutes and then shut down and would not start back up. This morning I could hear the fuel pump in the rear tank and started the truck and it ran pretty rough for less than 1 minute and would not start back up.

The fuel gauge shows empty when the front / rear toggle switch is on the front tank. When it's on the rear tank the fuel gauge shows full.

I tried to pull codes from the computer by jumping the EEC and the check engine light stayed on and would not work for me.

Question: If the tank selector valve under the truck was clogged.. would that prevent both tank pumps to come on?

I attached a picture of two connectors... Could anyone tell me what they are please?

Thank You Very Much for any help provided!!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2 possibilities that come to mind are the emergency fuel cutoff switch behind the right kick panel in front of the right door, and the fuel filter .

Quick Reply: 1988 F150 No Power to Fuel Pumps