Pre-1997 Models

95 XLT tail light suggestions/ help

Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 XLT tail light suggestions/ help

Hi folks,
New to the site and I reckon I'll be spending a lot of time here! Did some forum searching and couldn't find an answer, so here goes:

I have a 95 XLT that I'm semi-restoring. The biggest change is the bed. Rusted through to the point of no return. Pulled it off and working on a flat bed now. The original lighting harness is in fine shape, but since the bed is gone, the current bulbs/housing have nowhere to live. I have no trailer connection on here, so I'm planning to just hardwire new lights in.

I bought a trailer light kit that is supposed to provide brake/turn/running lights. When wired up, they both work as tail lights but nothing else. I'm thinking it might be easier to just buy single function lights and wire them up individually.

Each side (left and right) has two leads: upper bulb has three wires, lower bulb has two wires. As far as I can tell, the upper lead is:
Brown: tail light
Green/yellow: brake and turn signal
Black: ground

And the lower lead is just reverse lights.

Is that accurate? And can anybody help identify why I might only be getting running lights and no brake/ turn signals? Maybe they're on a separate fuse that is blown?

Thanks for any info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 XLT tail light suggestions/ help