Pre-1997 Models

'93 300 Inline Powertrain Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 300 Inline Powertrain Modifications

Was curious about a few modifications for the Jank Tank's powertrain.

1) I've been told they inline 300's would come with a turbo option. I was interested in going this route for a little boost in fuel economy (and maybe a little extra top end). Does anyone know if the '93 rendition came with this option? If not, is there an exaust manifold I can find from an older model which would work?

2) The clutch is getting close to needing a swap. I believe it's the Borg T-19, whichever is the 5 speed. Anybody have a preferred clutch they use? Looking for longevity, not performance. (Although I do enjoy a harder shifting clutch)

3) Do they make chipsets for trucks this old? Not a fan of them, but I would like the ability to switch between towing and fuel economy.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:32 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
1. The 300 never came with a turbo option.
2. You have a Mazda M5OD-R2 transmission. You can't beat a stock OEM clutch, which I believe is made by LUK.
3. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...50?prefilter=1

I don't know whether it's any good or not.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Ford had the 300 inline 6 with a turbo back then. It was never released for sale though. The info I got on it was it would blow the doors off of the 460. Never heard how much power it made but everybody close to the project was impressed. I imagine the emissions limits probably got it discontinued. There were kits made for the 300 that use a turbo. I'm not sure what is still out there but if you're serious about wanting a screaming 6 banger, yer on the right track. Besides the turbo, the engine will have to be cammed accordingly. If you get REAL lucky, Ford made a cross flow aluminum head for the 300 that flowed a tremendous amount of air. But that'll be a rare find. That would almost make a hemi 300 out of what you have. Add a turbo and.......