Pre-1997 Models

1995 4.9L Vacuum Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 4.9L Vacuum Help

Alright guys I have a 1995 f150 XLT 4.9L. I am trying to figure out a vacuum leak but I ran into a bit of confusion. I was looking online and I see that most people have a EVR, TAB, and TAD solenoids with a diverter valve. I look at mine and all I have is an EVR, and TAB solenoid with no diverter ( that I can find at least). Instead, I have the TAB ruining to an "Air Bypass Valve" right on top of the smog pump. Am I missing something or did they make these trucks different?

Mine looks like this:
1995 4.9L Vacuum Help-photo846.jpg

While every other one I see looks like these:
1995 4.9L Vacuum Help-photo30.jpg
1995 4.9L Vacuum Help-photo501.jpg

Old 01-31-2019, 04:05 PM
Ford makes everything different. But I have been trying to find out what that part was called. So thanks and Goodluck

Old 03-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
1993 , You have an OBD I ECM, and I believe the upper pic is an OBD II . Has to be from a 1996, since that was the only year F150;s had the 300 cid I6 in them with the OBD II ECM.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:10 PM
I mean 1995. You are actually lucky it is not the 1996 as parts fot it are almost impossible to find.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I know this is wayyyyyy off topic... but @somemorebob ... your signature and handle are funny. I'm sorry, but I like it.

Now back to the thread....

Old 03-04-2019, 03:29 PM
the whole air pump mess don't cause much in the way of vacuum leaks

Old 03-04-2019, 05:17 PM
There ARE about a bijillion things that could be leaking vacuum on these engines. you can hook up a cheap vac gauge to the vac tree disconnect every thing else including the fuel tank evac lines from the top of the plenieum, plug them and see what vac reading is. then start unblocking and replacing the vac lines one at a time checking each one to see if vac is decreased. that might isolate which little system is leaking.
Other things that may cause vac loss is cracked, loose, or bad gaskets on the plenieum or intake manifold. A bad EGR valve, rusted out vac canister. Problems with the HVAC control lines under the dash.
The possibilities are almost endless....Good Luck

Old 01-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Smile 1996 hmmmm that's a little discouraging.

Originally Posted by somemorebob
I mean 1995. You are actually lucky it is not the 1996 as parts fot it are almost impossible to find.
I have been reading many posts on this site for about a year now. Really enjoy and appreciate the contributions by so many that know so much more than I.
I have just joined and will get a signature updated soon.
My son (college) has a 1996 F150 4.9l y engine, 5 speed manual, short bed, single cab truck that he loves. He said he wants to keep it for life so I help him with it.
I have loved cars all my life and am glad he cares enough about his first vehicle to want to keep it always. Soooo... I'm willing to help him learn about vehicles and hopefully teach a few life lessons along the way, foremost being the joy you have when you figure out a problem and you actually fix it yourself. And, how your vehicle seems to run so much better, and you appreciate it so much more, when you have invested time in PM or have completed an important repair.

Anyway, didn't plan to write that much, but your original post scared me just a little. I will put all this in a new post at some point as I may want to actually RESTORE (gasp!) the Air pump on his truck. The pump is there and the belt turns the pulley, but there are no vacuum hoses to the solenoids that look? like they might control if air is pumped through the hoses (that's just a guess). The Head was replaced about 18 months ago while he was at college (due to overheating, cracks in head). The mechanic replaced it with a head but plugged up all the (six) holes in the head rather than restore the Air Pump system.

I will end this here and will continue to search on this forum for more info about the 1996 Air Pump system. Would appreciate if there are any specific threads I should read, or even service bulletins.

Thanks again for all your kind support and contributions. There are many who take value from these comments that never comment. Just know that it is greatly appreciated.

Lance

Old 01-08-2020, 09:01 PM
Hi Lance. I hope all your experiences here are positive. For the record, I have exactly the same truck as your son. Sorry to hear the air system was disconnected and plugged. The mechanic doing the head replacement probably wound up like I did when I changed mine. I managed to break off a couple of the little tubes on the air rake even after soaking them in penetrating oil. I wrecked the EGR tube also. I then found out neither part was available anywhere. the air rake for pre 96 models looked the same so I ordered one to find out after installation that the connector was mounted to far aft to clear the intake plenum. I wound up getting one for a 78 model I believe and the diameter of the main tube was smaller, no problem, the connector was a little to far forward which was no problem, but the 6 little tubes were also too small. I undertook a painstaking task of cutting 6 about 3/4 inch pieces of tube from the. I had to run a drill through them,don't quote me, but i believe it was 5/16. Then i sand papered the tubes on the rake until you could tap the bushings onto the tubes then used the new compression fittings from the incorrect part I had ordered earlier.
I hope the mechanic didn't screw up the vac/elect switches that control the air injection and EGR valve that located at the left side rear of the head, and the vacuum lines running around the engine.
I'll save the egr tube story for another time

Last edited by somemorebob; 01-08-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 1995 4.9L Vacuum Help