Pre-1997 Models

Fuel problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel problems please help

Hello, please help

Model: 1989 f-150 custom 4wd 5.0 liter

About 3 weeks ago my truck stalled on me like it was out of fuel, "chug a lug stall". This was while driving. I wasn't able to tell if I was out of fuel or not since my gas gauge is stuck on full (of course). After about 30 minutes of sitting in Florida heat it fired right up only to do the same thing as soon as I pulled into my driveway. This would go on intermittently for the next 2 weeks. I ran some Lucas through it the next day after the initial problem and replaced the fuel filter. Drove fine for 3 days until I ran it low of fuel and filled up. I then ran some sea foam in the fill up. A day later I was driving and it began doing the chug stall again however this time I kept slamming on the gas repetitively and this made it so I could keep it moving but not at speed, I got her home like this and parked her. So I figured I would change the inline fuel pump and relay. I did both of these today. I'm still not getting a noise when I turn the ignition to on. I'm really not sure what the hell is going on.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You need to skip the seafoam oil bath. All it does is screw up the engine where it runs equally bad across all cylinders. You can easily chip a valve with the stuff. I would take a look at the TFI on the distributor. It sits on the front of it and is subject to a lot of heat. Once they get hot as they age, they pretty much shut the engine down like it's starving for gas. Once it cools down, the engine starts and run like normal only to happen again when it gets hot again. It will gradually get worse until it just won't start at all. Here's the parts list from Rockauto if you think this is the issue.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...ule+(icm),7172

Old 07-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
You need to skip the seafoam oil bath. All it does is screw up the engine where it runs equally bad across all cylinders. You can easily chip a valve with the stuff. I would take a look at the TFI on the distributor. It sits on the front of it and is subject to a lot of heat. Once they get hot as they age, they pretty much shut the engine down like it's starving for gas. Once it cools down, the engine starts and run like normal only to happen again when it gets hot again. It will gradually get worse until it just won't start at all. Here's the parts list from Rockauto if you think this is the issue.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...ule+(icm),7172
thank you very much for the reply, and okay I will be sure to do that. I will check it out and switch it. Could that make the fuel pump not have power to it though? When I pull the line off behind the fuel filtered which is right in front of the pump i didn't get anything but residual fuel drops when the ignition was turned on. This happened before I replaced the pump and is still happening.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Disconnect the line, then turn the key on. The pump will only run for the first 3 seconds and shut off. Be prepared for raw gas to be pumped out of the line. Obviously, NO SMOKING when doing this and no electrical appliances running near it.
You might also check, some of these trucks have 2 fuel pumps. One on the frame rail usually and the other IN the gas tank. Since the fuel gauge doesn't work, I'd lean towards replacing the guts in the fuel tank. The tank gas pump and gas gauge are in the same assembly. They can be bought separately but it's always wise when doing one to do both. Pulling a gas tank isn't necessarily fun. Putting back with some of the trucks is even more fun getting the neck in the correct location and not collapsing the vent hose. Make sure to index these if disassembling so you can put it back the same way.

Last edited by Labnerd; 07-15-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Disconnect the line, then turn the key on. The pump will only run for the first 3 seconds and shut off. Be prepared for raw gas to be pumped out of the line. Obviously, NO SMOKING when doing this and no electrical appliances running near it.
You might also check, some of these trucks have 2 fuel pumps. One on the frame rail usually and the other IN the gas tank. Since the fuel gauge doesn't work, I'd lean towards replacing the guts in the fuel tank. The tank gas pump and gas gauge are in the same assembly. They can be bought separately but it's always wise when doing one to do both. Pulling a gas tank isn't necessarily fun. Putting back with some of the trucks is even more fun getting the neck in the correct location and not collapsing the vent hose. Make sure to index these if disassembling so you can put it back the same way.

than ou for this input, I did this and nothing, so I ran a piece of wire from the battery to the fuel pump positive and it kicked on but nothing at all came out. I then put the line back on and had my girlfriend try turning it over while I had the positive wire on there and it is not firing. I'm assuming the problem may be somewhere behind the pump maybe?