Pre-1997 Models

New member. Few questions. 89 F250 with 14,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member. Few questions. 89 F250 with 14,000 miles

Hi my grandfather just gave me his truck. I'm located in Pittsburgh Pa, he is located in Richmond VA. He purchased the truck in 1988 to haul mulch and garden supplies. Until now it has only moved between his home and landscaper supply stores. Officially it has 14193 on the odometer actual not roll over. It has all original factory parts including trans fluid besides the tires engine oil and battery.

​​​​​I was thinking of having it sent to a local garage for a full look over and a complete tune up, belts hoses, plugs, all fluids changed. Am I missing anything? There was a warranty issue with the dual tanks. Never was corrected so the front tank has gas from 1991 in it. Do recall fires with a tank switch issue? Just concerned driving it 8 hours on the highway. He claimed it's never been past 45 mph.

Truck has a 351 and overdrive automatic. He took it off the lot and to a off road shop. Has the push bar, police spot lights, KC lights everwhere, rollbar ,cowl roof a 3" lift and 33" tires. He also added graphics and pinstriping. It is 1989 purple green and blue pulse??? Looks like a heart monitor down the sides. And baby blue pinstripes everywhere with his initials on the doors. Looking down right ugly. The truck was kept in a heated garage until 2009. Does have mildew and the graphics are starting to peel. Factory paint does look good. Wondering if a body shop is able to remove everything and buff the white paint?? If not I'm guessing $5000.00 for a proper show paint job....looking to win a trophy eventually. The interior does stink like mold. He had a sunroof done at the off road shop. But not to worried. I'm going down in a few months to get it. Figured I'll get prepared now! Oh is that 351 a runner or just any ordinary 90s slow dog V8. I have never sat in it. Just comparing it to my dad's 91 300 inline. Which was horrible slow lol thanks

Last edited by Lesnocker; 05-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There was a warranty issue with the dual tanks. Never was corrected so the front tank has gas from 1991 in it. Do recall fires with a tank switch issue?

No, no fire related issue it had to do with a defective electric transfer valve between the 2 tanks...and yes, befor starting it I would drain the fuel, flush it just a little, change out the fuel filter.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya he got the recall when it was a year or 2 old. He moved to Colorado for 8 years leaving the truck stored in VA. He said never messed with it. Had 1/4 tank in front. Just ran the rear. No idea what would happen if I hit the switch . Whole do not press the button scenario comes to mind. See how much it will be to replace it . Do believe they have individual fuel pumps? Hopefully they still sell the replacement parts for the defective recall items