Pre-1997 Models

HELP E4OD Hard Shifting AKA Beating A Dead Horse

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP E4OD Hard Shifting AKA Beating A Dead Horse

I have a 1994 F150 302 with the E4OD
This tranny up shifts and down shifts hard at low RPMs it shifts smooth with your foot stuck in it. Even down shifts smooth as long as your breaking to slow it down and the RPMs are still up.
The speedo was bouncing, unplugging the RABS solved that problem. Did not change my braking so I suspect the ABS was disabled some way before I bought it.
The horn doesn't work
The cruise doesn't work
The airbag light doesn't work
The ABS light works and is not staying on
The OD light works as does the button. I can turn it off.
The transmission pan and the front seal are both leaking fluid.
The VSS has been replaced

The codes are as follows
3 super fast flashes
then it repeated those 2
then I got a long pause
long pause
Tested at an idle after driving so it was operating temp.
4 flashes telling me its a v8

Old 02-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Quite often hard shifting on an E4OD can be traced back to the throttle position sensor (TPS) so that's at least worth a look - you can test it with a multimeter.
Another issue is the speedo (PSOM). It's like a mini computer that takes info from the VSS on the rear diff, a speed sensor on the trans if equipped, the RABS (ABS) system and the cruise control; it puts all that info and sends it up to the main engine computer (PCM) so that it will know when to shift.
The PCM puts that info together with info from sensors on the engine (like the TPS) to decide when to tell the trans to shift and how hard.
You can see based on what's not working right on your truck that you have a few issues to get sorted out before you blame the transmission for shifting issues.
Start with getting things working right on the truck first - a lot of them are interconnected.
You may end up having to work on the trans after all, but you may get lucky and find a faulty sensor (or 2) that are creating the shift issue

Old 02-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Where on the engine can I find a date? I know this motor came out of a mustang but I don't know what year it is. I can't begin to start correcting things until I know that..