Pre-1997 Models

302 Water pump leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 Water pump leaking?

Hey guys, I've got a 92 F-150 that I bought 2 months ago. I got it from the original owner, and at 204,000 miles it is immaculately well cared for. A week ago the lower hose to the heating plate in the throttle body of the 302 came apart on me. It was a quick repair (though I'm still considering deleting it, living in Texas), but now that that leak has stopped she is leaking from the area at the bottom of the water pump. It was a small leak At first, no more than a 1-3" puddle after the evening commute. I just got back from a 5 hour highway trip, and the leak has suddenly become heavier, and has created perhaps a 12" puddle, but is still only at the pace of a drip. I'm used to working on an old 460, and I can't see the bottom of the pump on this engine. I thought it was the lower radiator hose at first, but I parked at an angle and the leak is coming from above the hose, and below the top of the pump. I think it might be a weep hole, but I'm unsure. I also don't think the seal against the block would randomly spring a leak at this point. It is hard for me to jack up the truckand look or swap the pump because I live in an apartment, so I have to head to a relatives place to do anything serious (my land lord sucks). I'm also wondering if I have a pressure issue in my coolant system that's causing things to fail. The truck runs exceptionally cool. Im unfamiliar with this gen of ford engine tech. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 05-29-2016, 07:05 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Shaft seal is shot, it's coming out the weep hole.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep, just gotta replace the water pump. Pretty simple process on a 302. Well, at least on a 86 Mustang GT...

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 05-30-2016, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I managed to make it to a place I could swap it just in case and sure enough jacked up I can see it's the damn weep hole. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 302 Water pump leaking?