Pre-1997 Models

Truck stumbles and dies please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck stumbles and dies please help

Hi I have a 90 f150 custom 4x4 with the 5.0 efi it started out cutting out a time or two going down the road now when I start it she fires up and runs for a few surges up to 2000 rpm and falls back down to where it almost dies and goes right back up a few times then dies it will start back up but dies right away unless I keep my foot on gas then it stays running but will surge real bad then I let off and it dies only once did the check engine light come on and after it dies there is a click that comes from down by the e break pedal I have put a new fuel pump lines and a back tank new headers duel exhaust and o2 sensor my buddy said it sounded like the ecu or EEC whatever they call it but I wanted to ask you ford guys before I just start changing stuff and input would help as this is my work truck thank you all in advance

Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the check engine light is on, then read the codes and post them here. Throwing parts at it is a crap shoot at best, and can be expensive.

Good luck

Old 04-25-2016, 10:32 AM
The light has only came on twice and as soon as it comes on it will shut right back off I started it this morning reved it up and it ran fine a little high idle it did that yesterday also but after I drove it and shut it off it started to act up again when it runs bad there is no lights on I think the light might have came on real fast cause it about died the two times it flashed was when it almost died my tach hit zero the light came on and rpm shot back up and light went right back off but it will still surge without the light on between almost during and about 2500 rpm I'll take any advice that's given I don't know fords this is my first

Old 04-26-2016, 09:30 AM
The computer will store codes. Check them first.
The computer will usually tell you where the problem is coming from. Much cheaper than guessing that it might be something.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by 1995XLT
The computer will store codes. Check them first.
The computer will usually tell you where the problem is coming from. Much cheaper than guessing that it might be something.
What code reader should I buy the OBDl or the OBDll the parts store told me they can't read codes without my check engine light on and it hardly ever comes on it was on when I bought the truck I changed the o2 sensor put new exhaust on cause passenger manifold had a hole in it and it had no muffler pipe stopped after the cab and light went off never seen it again till the truck almost died the other day but after the rpm shot back up it went off just as fast as it came on but still ran funny I was able to drive it to work last night with only one stumble on my way home some days it runs great some its a fight to keep it running thank you all for your help

Old 04-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The 95 V6 Mustang that I bought for my son was OBDII but my 95 Mark VIII Lincoln was OBDI so I have no idea what your 95 truck is.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:02 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Your 1990 is EEC, not OBD. Most parts stores don't read them. You don't need a reader, all you need is a jumper wire. Start here:

http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page13.html

Not to give you a hard time, but some punctuation would make your posts a LOT easier to read!

Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
The 95 V6 Mustang that I bought for my son was OBDII but my 95 Mark VIII Lincoln was OBDI so I have no idea what your 95 truck is.
Thank you for the info but this is a 90 f150 custom with the 5.0 efi its a 302 bored 30 over I got all paper work and went to the shop to make sure that was the truck they did it on It was done about 2 years ago this was a one owner farm truck when I got it 2 months ago with 97k on it ran OK when I got it and went down hill from there

Old 04-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Thank you glc. I'll try that and get back to you. Google was not the right place to look for the code reader I needed

Old 04-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Yes the ground wire and cel flash counting is generally a reliable method for pulling the codes. Personally I've found it easier if one person counts the flashes and calls them out while somebody else writes them down. Saves looking away to write or trying to decipher what you wrote without looking.
All the codes will usually show up on google if you punch in 90 F150 code _ _. gets you looking in the right direction for the problem.
The light doesn't have to still be on to pull a code - if the computer lit the light it will have stored the code. It won't erase the code until it goes through several cycles without a repeat or you manually erase them.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:11 PM
glc
The article I linked has links to complete code descriptions, they are at the bottom of the page.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The article I linked has links to complete code descriptions, they are at the bottom of the page.
Thank you for the info it helped alot. I have code 23 tps with koeo. I also have codes 33 and 63. One it egr valve opening not detected. The other is tps circuit intermittently failed below minimum 0.6 volts. I can fix all that... My question is can I do the same test with engine running. If so would it make more codes come up.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry I forgot to say code 33 and 63 where in the cm part not koeo

Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM
glc
KOEO is all you can do that way. Sounds to me like a new TPS should clear some of the problems up.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get the KOER codes from the cel. Google it and read up a bit.

Quick Reply: Truck stumbles and dies please help